Severely disappointed in product purchase (Deco M9 Plus)

2021-03-08 22:37:59
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

I purchased these devices thinking that they would be a good deal for Tri-Band WiFi. What I didn't realize when purchasing for them though was that I was the actual product. You could have at least warned us on your packaging.

When I realized I had to download an app on my phone in order to even set them up, I knew I had made a mistake. When I had to agree to a privacy policy that basically agreed to have TP-Link be sent my network information, and that they may share that with third-parties, I knew I had made a mistake. When they required that I neable location services on my phone, I knew I had made a mistake.

I will never be able to recommend another TP-Link product again because of this. Whatever happened to the normal days of having a web interface that you configure your network from? A mobile app shouldn't be a necessity in configuring and setting up a wireless network in your home. Location services shouldn't be required. An online account isn't needed. Why is my online account password tied to my home network device? This is ridiculous. This is intentional. Maybe you're right that most people don't care or know better, but to the people that do care and know better, and there are a lot of us that do care—you underestimate us.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Severely disappointed in product purchase (Deco M9 Plus)
2021-03-09 18:37:23

@ije2jira 

With our cloud service that is tied into the Deco product, it allows ease of use and the ability to manage your device wherever you are.

Given your feedback, you seem to know exactly what you want and do not want which is why I would highly recommend not using any cloud-based device.

I would use devices such as our Archer A7 where you can manage the device locally using your web browser.

Options
2021-03-09 18:56:54 - last edited 2021-03-09 18:59:02

@Tony Which cloud service are you referring to and why is it a requirement, and not an option? Please note that routers have been able to be managed locally without requring online accounts for over a decade. Given the current status of your devices and firmware, you could easily unlock my device remotely, since accessing my devices is tied to my TP-Link.com account. In order for me to change the management password, I have to change my TP-Link.com account password.

Please be specific about what you mean when you say this device is "cloud-based" so that everyone can be made aware. I have yet to find the cloud-based functionality that would be a requirement. There are other router providers that provide mesh functionality like TP-Link without any cloud requirements. What is so unique about TP-Link that would require this cloud-based functionality that you speak of? Is the data stored in the US that you collect according to your privacy policy or China, or both?

The biggest issue here is that you're not even upfront about your so-called cloud-based requirements. If before purchasing the device it had said on the packaging, this is a cloud-based device that can only be configured via a mobile app and you have to agree to our privacy policy and create an online account before using it, then I wouldn't care cause I would have never actually bought it. In fact, I think a lot of people wouldn't purchase it if that was the case if you were transparent. But TP-Link isn't, and someone decided that they would leave that part out and wait until after people had already purchased the product, who may have already paid shipping fees, to let them know.

Options
2021-03-11 00:01:33

@ije2jira 

Here is a link to our privacy policy: https://www.tp-link.com/us/about-us/privacy/

There is also direct contact info on the bottom section if you wanted additional information.

We also have routers that do not require a TP-Link ID such as the previously mentioned Archer A7 or the Archer AX6000.

If you wish to continue to use the Deco M9 there is no way around it. If you do not want to have to use an app, I can recommend other routers that do not.

If you really want a mesh network and not want to use the Deco, I would recommend the Archer AX6000, with the RE505X. You can then create a OneMesh network.

Options