In System Log, which "Type" to select to filter No Internet events?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

In System Log, which "Type" to select to filter No Internet events?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:In System Log, which "Type" to select to filter No Internet events?
2021-04-29 16:06:23 - last edited 2021-04-29 16:11:13

@IrvSp Thanks for bringing up the UPS issue: I have a Tripp Lite UPS unit from the wall, which feeds both the modem and the tp-link router. My ISP was blaming the signal box outside the building, where I get the coaxial cable from. They said unstable signals (in frequencies) may force their modem to restart. Weeks ago, their on-site person was confident that he fixed the signal problem. He also assured me that "his signal box" is grounded, so I don't need to use the UPS unit to relay the cable. After all these (and a couple of months, or say, for a whole year living with random interruptions), last week, I was kicked out of my apartment 10 minutes before a scheduled meeting lol.

While the modem reboots on itself, I did have consistent access to the tp-link router. The router was a bit disappointed as there was no internet connection. All other units attached to the same UPS was running just fine. To further isolate the problems, let me add a separate UPS unit for the modem + router alone. Anyways, they deserve to run on battery power.

I am moving to a new apartment and will see if completely isolating the signal box issue may stop the service interruptions on the ISP's modem. (My landlord sold the place while I have a couple of months left on the lease. I was made to move to a building down the block, likely, running the coaxial cable from the same pole. If the interruption continues, I now have the squirrels to blame.)

Options
Re:In System Log, which "Type" to select to filter No Internet events?
2021-04-29 19:07:53

@Linfeng 

i do NOT use the USP to filter out the cable from the wall. Only the Electric power.

I've been told never to do that, even with a surge protector that has that feature. It can degrade the service. Besides, I do NOT own the modem, it could be damaged, but the ISP will replace it.

Options