Archer C60 drops connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-20 04:17:32
Model: Archer C60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there.

My 2-floor house has no spaces for cables so we have to think in ways of taking Wi-Fi-only internet to the whole place. Therefore, I currently have the following setup:

ISP Modem/Router (all-in-one device) -> Archer C60 #01 (WDS Bridge, repeating wireless from the ISP Router, Same SSID) -> Archer C60 #02 (2nd Floor, WDS Bridge, repeating witless from the Archer C60 #01, different SSID).

We have positioned all 3 Wi-Fi routers in such a way that signal strength is 80-90% between them.

I have no problems using the Archer #01 in the first floor. However, in the 2nd floor my Archer #02 drops connection randomly: Internet connection drops, while Wi-Fi is stable; to "solve" it, I just have to disconnect and connect in windows and it comes back instantly. No action needed in the router itself. It's so fast that I don't even get disconnected from video conferencing rooms.

The problem takes like 5 sec to be solved, however it's very annoying since I'm a teacher - sometimes this happens during class and I have to break a line of thought to re-connect (and other times I don't even notice after some minutes talking just to myself lol).

when it's working, I have like 80Mbps in the second fooor while 210 Mbps in the first. It's pretty high considering the size of the house, so the problem is just this annoying aleatory connection drop.

do you have any ideas?

kindly

Victor

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C60 drops connection
2021-05-20 04:23:34

@Victor_CF just an add-on: all lights remain green, since there is internet in the router (after I reconnect in windows it comes back immediately).

it looks like the router is dropping just my PC's connection to the internet, like a 'ban'.

ps.: my employer provides a proprietary VPN for security reasons and I can just work in this environment. When the internet drops, the VPN drops in sequence but it comes back as soon as the internet starts showing again in my PC.

Options
2021-05-20 12:29:41

@Victor_CF 

Interesting setup.

Since you have no issue with router 1 and do with router 2, a few things to try:

• Since the SSIDs are different, I would try deleting the network to router 1 from the PC as the PC may be trying to change the connection between the SSIDs.
  • Try using different specific channels and band widths on router 2 as there may be channel interference.
  • Review what devices are on router 2 and move devices off of router 2 as a test to see if some other device may be causing an issue.
  • Delete and re-establish the router 2 network.
  • Try a different PC as it may be the PC dropping the connection.
  • Check to see if the issue occurs without a VPN on after work hours.
  • I know this would be a pain, try switching routers with each other to see if the issue follows the router.
Options
2021-05-20 13:16:13

@ArcherC8 thanks for the reply.

After your answer, I thought here it could be really something related to the PC, since I have never seen the same issue with my personal MacBook.

However, this is the only network dropping in this PC. When I travel to my other house (or even when I'm connected to my Archer #01 router) it keeps 100% stable.

do you have any suggestions to check specifically if this is the case (and how to solve it)?

Options
2021-05-21 13:00:38

@Victor_CF 

I would delete the network settings for the SSID on the PC that has the issue and set it back up again.

You may need to update the Network firmware in the PC. 

Another thing you may want to get an USB network adapter for the PC and try that. If that works than you know it is the PC.

In the router WIFI settings, you may want to change it to not use the AC mode to see if that makes a difference as the PC may not like it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 737

Replies: 4

Related Articles