AX6600 2.4ghz signal does not let my security camera's pair but works just fine on old router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX6600 2.4ghz signal does not let my security camera's pair but works just fine on old router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-30 15:02:54
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210312 rel.62806(5553)

I have 3 different wifi security cameras that operate on 2.4ghz signal and never had any issues with them from my previous dual band router. On the AX6600, I turned off "smart connect" and enabled 2.4 ghz. My phone connects to the signal just fine and is set to the 2.4 ghz wifi but I cannot get any of the 3 cameras to pair with the phone apps. However they pair just fine on my previous router so there is something about the 2.4ghz on this router that prevents cameras from accessing. I tried disabling firewall but didn't help.

I have troubleshooted every option for the camera's. They are factory reset and the AX6600 has been factory reset multiple times and everything points to the fault being this router and again my old router pairs the cameras just fine. I even placed the cameras within 10 feet of the router and they still cannot connect. Encryption settings, SSID, etc are now all on default. The camera security apps report that there is no internet available through the 2.4 ghz SSID and therefore they cannot talk to the camera hardware but my other devices such as laptop and phone has internet through that frequency. 

In a final effort, I connected my old router and changed the SSID and password to the default characters of the AX6600 hoping that once I swapped back that the cameras wouldn't see a network change. The camera apps paired to the hardware just fine and functioned as normal. I then swapped back to the AX6600 but the camera's reported they were offline...something on this router is preventing internet access from my phone apps talking to the hardware. I deleted them and tried to pair again several more times but they always fail.

Is there some other setting that could prevent camera's from communicating with the apps on my phone?

Options
5 Reply
Re:AX6600 2.4ghz signal does not let my security camera's pair but works just fine on old router
2021-05-31 00:13:18
Be sure SSID is not hidden. Also set mode to b/g/n.
Options
Re:AX6600 2.4ghz signal does not let my security camera's pair but works just fine on old router
2021-06-02 21:29:34

@ArcherC8 

It's not hidden and I tried changing the mode but no effect.

Options
2021-06-03 12:04:31

@XRC 

Other things to try as I suspect the cameras do not support one or more of the router's new features:

• Changing ODFMA
  • Changing TWT
  • Changing Channel and width
  • Changing the WIFI security
  • Try using the guest channel
Options
2021-06-03 23:31:31

@ArcherC8 

I'll try the guest channel. The OFDMA and TWT are off, I'll try turning OFDMA on but I don't think I have a use for TWT and I doubt these cameras even support it. Is there a channel # and width you recommend? I'm not sure what the differences are.

Options
2021-06-04 12:31:50

@XRC 

Generally you use a specific channel in areas when there is a large number of WIFI signals to separate you from the others. Auto setting lets the router select the channel so it can select from many. It may be selecting one that your cameras do not like.

There are programs that can show what WIFI channels are being used in your area. My iMac has one as part of the network utilities. Not sure about Windows. If you do not have a program, just try a few different channels.  If you have one, then see what your old router selected.

Some devices work better with narrow or wide widths, but most will work on both. Just need to try it.

Best to restart your router and cameras between changes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1779

Replies: 5