AX11000 Firmware Update causing disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX11000 Firmware Update causing disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:AX11000 Firmware Update causing disconnects and massive speed loss
2021-07-17 20:30:21

@Prof 

Model: Archer AX11000

Hardware Version: V1

Firmware Version: The latest terd

I had this problem also, but not on 2.4.  I am sure you have done this, but check your modem light when this occurs.  Spectrum, et al has a problem with some modems recently that has to do with a polarity issue.  My ax11000 was disconnecting because wan signal was cutting in and out.  

So, prior to this latest firmware, I was getting 960-1280 down all the time with the tether speed test.  Now with the new irrevocable firmware, my speeds have been cut to the 400's.  ISP came out today, replaced modem and some cables, the problem fixed.  At the modem, the speed is consistent 960, but after the router is added to this mix, speeds may hit 500 via tether and all the other web based testers are reporting slow also.  Of course if you do speedtest.net and you connect to your isp's servers, the speeds eventually begin to go up...;0 - 

I have tried all the medium-smart IT guy stuff.  I also read and tried the community solution to "turn off qos" on the new firmware, which really doesn't let you turn off qos anymore.  This did nothing.  I turned on the "graphic accelerator" and got on speed test at 873, but no more.  This happens in close / far proximity to the router.  It occurs with 1 client or 11 clients.  

I have been getting intermittent signal loss on the router since end of June, but it usually repairs itself.  I have a 13 year old investment that reminds me each time it disconnects. (it seems to utter DAD!!, not sure what DAD means)  I am hoping this is fixed.  

But the speed issue, I believe is related to the new firmware release.  I base this on previous speeds with all the same equipment being double or more what I have now and a technician who tested the signal.  I was getting faster speeds with the archer while being on the spectrum middle tier plan, which is 300-400 down vs the "gigabit" plan I am on now. 

I have bought and returned 4 and about to be 5 routers costing 300 plus in the last 4 months.  My conclusion is that they are all crud.  

If anyone knows how to fix my issue or can comment that they had an issue following the release of the June firmware, please comment.  I am afraid to call tech support because I just don't know how much more disappointment I can handle.  

Thanks, 

Dave 

PS:  I remember when TPLink NIC's were so cheap they used to give them away by the handfuls.  I would only use them as a last resort.    

Options
Re:AX11000 Firmware Update causing disconnects
2021-07-18 20:06:33 - last edited 2021-07-18 20:21:06

@Carl 

Hey Carl,

Thank you for responding! Been out of town for a few days so just now getting your post. 

Yes, I had my devices on the guest network making sure BOTH checkboxes were unchecked so that guests could not communicate with each other or the main network. I have 30+ devices on the guest network and up until the latest firmware, it was working fine. Taking Kevin's recommendations, I moved all clients to the Main 2.4 band and disabled the 2.4 Guest band. I must say everything has been working flawlessly since. No disconnects or having to reboot the router. It is a chore to move 30+ devices back and forth from Main to Guest because I use different passwords for each. One thing I could try is to move maybe 10 devices to the Guest 2.4 band and test. It could be that the Guest network is only for a few devices for a short time not 30+ devices for all time. I could be expecting too much out of the Guest Network. I use the 2.4 Guest band ONLY for smart devices. Guest users get the 5g Guest band not the 2.4g band. I also wonder if having both the 2.4g and the 5g Guest bands working at the same time could be an issue. I would be willing to setup some time for an SE to call and look over my configuration. The problem is I would have to move everything back over which is a chore. I will give this some thought. TBH, everything is working so smoothly at the moment, I hate to change it back. If the Trend Micro can do what it states it can do and isolate any rogue devices then I could leave everything as is and trust the software. I understand nothing is 100% though. Even a router which is the biggest IOT device can be hacked. I would love to see this remedied in the future, but right now I think I am just looking for assurance in the Trend-Micro to stop rogue devices. 

Like I stated earlier, with the integration of OneMesh, I believe that it is easier for new bugs to be injected into the firmware. I am sure, as a SE myself, that the complications of going from standard firmware to OneMesh are astronomical and that producing and correcting these bugs becomes much more difficult. 

Options
Re:AX11000 Firmware Update causing disconnects and massive speed loss
2021-07-18 20:11:38

@daveck 

Hey Dave,

Thank you for the suggestion!

I always check the cable modem to see how the SNR and Power levels look when this happens. I also look at the Corrected and Uncorrectables. Everything looks good. I even do a continuous ping for several hours and note when the Guest band would disconnect. The pings would be 100% showing no break in the internet connection. This ONLY happens on the 2.4g Guest network. The Main 2.4g and 5g bands plus the LAN have no disconnections. 

You are absolutely correct! Many just look at the router as the problem when in fact the cable modem is the issue. This will be very helpful for others who read this post.

Options
Re:AX11000 Firmware Update causing disconnects
2021-07-19 00:22:15

@Kevin_Z 

There are 10 currently.... the biggest chunk is on the 5g because my initial plan was to hide the 5g and designate it for our smart devices (alexa devices, security system, etc) 

The 5g gaming obviously has all of our gaming consoles. 

The 5g even ended up losing contact with the smart devices randomly yesterday. Smart connect is not on (probably a useless feature for us anyway) 

This is getting overly frustrating as we are having to reconnect stuff when they disconnect and it's not just one brand of items either. 😑

Options