No WAN with new Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

No WAN with new Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
No WAN with new Router
No WAN with new Router
2021-10-20 14:58:03 - last edited 2021-10-21 15:54:05
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: default

Good Morning everyone, 

I just receive my new router form Amazon.  I followed the two pages of instructions for setup and I get the orange internet status light (solid).  I have tried resetting the router, diligently following the boot up sequence and even given extra wait times for all of the above.  I started to get into editing the IP but I decided to come here for help before I get in over my head.   

Problem 1. Orange internet status light

Problem 2. When I log into the router it says no WAN. But the WAN is plugged in, I know it’s a good cable because it deliver internet reliably with my old router.

The primary problem is it seems the router is not recognizing the cable plugged into its WAN port, which doesn’t make sense, because my original ISP router works fine and gets great internet. 

Could someone direct me to a clear troubleshooting guide for this particular problem, I need to know what I should do next. Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:No WAN with new Router AX5400 SOLVED-Solution
2021-10-21 15:53:56 - last edited 2021-10-21 15:54:05

@F1GT6 
Solved. 
I have 2 boxes from my ISP.  One is a fibre box and the second one is the modem.  I had the Fibre box and the modem confused.  

I attached an ethernet to the second box (modem) to the tp link router and completed the shut down and startup sequence and the internet connected.  
I think this is the trouble that a lot of people are having.  My modem from my ISP delivers wifi and ethernet, for which reason I thought it was an ISP router.  

So solution is as follows. 

ISP Fribre box ---->LAN1---->Ethernet cable ----> Broadband ONT on ISP modem----> Ethernet cable----> TP link router LAN Port 1

Connect all

Power off all boxes
Start up Fibre box and wait until power indicator stops blinking
Power up modem and wait until status lights are solid
Power up TP Link router
Follow instructions on Tether app. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:No WAN with new Router
2021-10-20 18:19:48 - last edited 2021-10-20 20:18:54

@F1GT6 

sounds like you are not getting the WAN. If it is zero, that is the issue.

Most times you just power off and unplug the modem for five minutes to reset it. Power off router, then plug the modem in, power on, wait for it to stablize, then power on the router.

Options
2021-10-20 20:19:50

@ArcherC8 I'm confused as to why my old router works with the same setup and the new one doesn't recognize that there is a cable in the WAN port.  Should I just return it? or is there some specific troubleshooting I can do?

Options
2021-10-20 23:20:46 - last edited 2021-10-20 23:31:38

The modem will sometimes not switch routers when a new one is installed. That is why you need to clear the modem’s memory so it will connect to the new one. I need to do that procedure when I change routers. You may need to try several times. See the post that says something like got a new modem and can not connect in the first few posts.

Note in the instructions that first little triangle about power off the modem....

Options
Re:No WAN with new Router AX5400 SOLVED-Solution
2021-10-21 15:53:56 - last edited 2021-10-21 15:54:05

@F1GT6 
Solved. 
I have 2 boxes from my ISP.  One is a fibre box and the second one is the modem.  I had the Fibre box and the modem confused.  

I attached an ethernet to the second box (modem) to the tp link router and completed the shut down and startup sequence and the internet connected.  
I think this is the trouble that a lot of people are having.  My modem from my ISP delivers wifi and ethernet, for which reason I thought it was an ISP router.  

So solution is as follows. 

ISP Fribre box ---->LAN1---->Ethernet cable ----> Broadband ONT on ISP modem----> Ethernet cable----> TP link router LAN Port 1

Connect all

Power off all boxes
Start up Fibre box and wait until power indicator stops blinking
Power up modem and wait until status lights are solid
Power up TP Link router
Follow instructions on Tether app. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 962

Replies: 4