Feature request - SQM built into Deco firmware, not just QOS

2021-11-25 01:23:50 - last edited 2022-09-13 08:09:18
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Good day, I have a simple feature request for the Deco line of products.  Currently we have QOS that we can turn on, but there is no built in SQM.  This is opensource and should be easy enough to add (depending on CPU support that is) to the Deco units.  This would be extremely helpful to having a quality experience with Deco equipment and it is perfect for the Deco line as there is nothing to configure or manage.  This will be seamless to the end users, and result in a better running network and happier customers as bufferbloat would be fixed. The network will then be more reliable and not "drop" or stutter as much, especially when the higher end systems are stated to be good for 150+ devices.  SQM would be extremely helpful to those size networks!

There are a few other brands out there doing this, most notably Eero, but I would greatly prefer the feature be added into TP-Link firmware.  This could be a real differentiating feature for the Deco line of mesh equipment vs all the others out there.

Just a suggestion, and maybe this is already being looked at.  I sure hope so, if not I would request someone in the firmware development/engineering team look into adding this.

Options
46 Reply
Re:Feature request - SQM built into Deco firmware, not just QOS
2021-11-25 03:30:48

@SpiderLAN 

Hi, Smart Queue Management sounds like an Excellent idea for Bufferbloat.

I would like to ping your post on the front and see how many users have the same request.

Have you used any router with SQM before and is there anything that impressed you most?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-11-25 09:16:39 - last edited 2021-11-25 09:18:30

@TP-Link Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I have used this in the past but on aftermarket firmware as it's rare to find built in as a feature, Eero is the biggest that specifically advertises the feature on a normal mesh system that I'm aware of anyway. That said it should also be easy to test out as it's built into OpenWRT which is extremely popular and many people run on TP Link Archer routers. Your routers are quite common recommendations for those wanting to run OpenWRT and if they install it then they have SQM as an option.

For me, the two things I really see the benefits of SQM in my personal use are for gaming, and Zoom and other video conferencing software. These of would see the benefits daily as the ping times are so much better. Especially when I try and use things like Microsoft's cloud gaming service, latency can be a huge issue then for sure and I'm very much not a competitive gamer, so if I see it with the little bit I do then it's huge. Gamers complain about ping all the time, reducing this would be appreciated by many customers I'm sure.  Remote work, zoom, teams and webex video calls are the other time I see I nice improvement and that I use a lot personally. Last case which is rarer for me but I've definitely been affected is large uploads, then my bloat can get so bad it affects my download speeds even.

My personal bufferbloat is not the worst, but say on my wired desktop I ping Google non stop, my response times are say 40ms, if I then run a speed test at the same time my pings jump to 140-160ms. That's not the worst in the world, but I'm also only doing two things as a simple test. I'd love to get rid of ping spikes like that, especially when I'm my house there may be 3 video calls going on at one in multiple rooms in real life usage so it can be much worse than 160ms!

Hope that helps, happy to assist as needed and I hope others find this useful, I'm sure if it was an option users would really like it. Make it an option alongside QOS that people could enable and disable with one click in the Deco app, that would be perfect!

Options
2021-12-03 10:15:17

I just bought the Archer AX20 to replace an aging Zyxel, with intent to load the latest OpenWrt so I can use the cake SQM. But it would be great if the native firmware supported it, so regular users can get the benefit of de-bloating their family's interactive audio and video streams. 

Options
2021-12-22 21:04:50

@TP-Link this would excellent! I formerly had an eero pro and the sqm on it was amazing. Only problem I had with it was stability and switched over to the deco m9 plus which improved it! SQM is the one feature I miss on eero pro and would love to see it implemented into the deco line of products (especially the m9 plus). Thanks!

Options
2021-12-22 22:04:26

@DDuck I agree, the Deco lineup seems to be a popular alternative for people that are moving on from Eero. Adding SQM would pull more users from there I am sure as it's a very popular reason to stick with or choose Eero in the first place.

Options
2021-12-25 12:43:11
I would like the same features to be added on Deco M4R and M3R since they are basically sold combo package.
Options
2022-01-18 05:48:48 - last edited 2022-01-18 05:49:07

@SpiderLAN 

Would like to request this feature too. Would be fantastic for my deco networks.

Options
2022-01-27 15:31:25

+1 on SQM being a necessity for fighting bufferbloat.

Would love to see it on the x68 / x3600. Currently using the products in AP mode and letting my WRT1900ACS handle routing since it does SQM beautifully. Would very much love to simplify and have the Deco doing all the heavy lifting.

Options
2022-01-28 22:22:27
Add me to the chorus. SQM should absolutely be available on the decos.
Options
2022-01-28 22:58:10
Thanks to everyone who is replying, it’s great to see a lot of support for this feature from the users! This is a pretty small forum, and we have a good amount of requests for this so far, I hope tp-link sees this and listens to it. My x3600 system would really benefit. I am also happy to be a beta tester if needed at any point, as I’m sure others would.
Options

Information

Helpful: 75

Views: 9172

Replies: 46