AX73 (Archer AX5400) Tether won't connect after firmware update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-28 17:15:06 - last edited 2022-01-31 16:47:42
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20211222 rel.74632(5553)

Hello:

After updating my router last evening to the recommended firmware (per the prompt received when I logged into the router), I can still connect to it via the local PC browser interface, but the Tether app won't connect. When I open Tether and click the router from the device list, it gets stuck on the "Logging in to Archer AX73" screen and then shows a prompt "Login failed. You may be connected to a guest nework, limited by Parental Controls or your network may be unstalbe."

This is the firmware it is currently running: 1.2.0 Build 20211222 rel.74632(5553)

As a side note, I find it strange that this firmware version doesn't appear on the Firmware download page for the AX73 here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax73/#Firmware

I've tried to fix it by:

- rebooting the router

- unbinding the router from Tether

- restoring my router setting from my backup file (made prior to the firmware update)

- uninstalling Tether and reinstalling

- again, rebooting the router

Unfortunately, none of these fixed it. I can manage the router from my hardwired PC, but I'm now wondering what else might be messed up if Tether isn't able to connect to it?

Advice on how to fix this is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX73 (Archer AX5400) Tether won't connect after firmware update-Solution
2022-01-30 22:39:01 - last edited 2022-01-31 16:47:42

So I think I have found the problem -- the "original" TPLink AX73 router (I'll call that router #1), is not writing good backup files. I discovered this by factory resetting it and testing Tether BEFORE installing any of my backup files. Tether connected and worked perfectly. I then tried installing my backup files starting from the oldest (when I first got router #1) to the latest - all of them result in a failure of Tether. However, if I factory reset and then hand-restore all my settings, Tether continues to work.

So, I was also able to get router #2 (the replacement) running using the same method. Note I did not try writing any of the router #1 backups to router #2, I simply hand-configured it. I have made a backup file of router #2, and will try installing that into router #1 to see if router #2 is writing good or corrupt backups.

Note that both routers are running the latest firmware from TPLink, which is 1.2.0 Build 20211222.

UPDATE 1/31/2022 -- I have confirmed that router #2 is writing good/working backups by wiping router #2 and reloading the last backup written from that router. It came up with no issues and Tether is working perfectly now.

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:AX73 (Archer AX5400) Tether won't connect after firmware update
2022-01-28 19:51:46

@Dr_Mono Yes, I have power cycled the modem. I have not reset it to factory defaults, but that may be the next thing I do. Honestly, I think it's a bug in the new firmware OR some glitch/corruption during the upgrade process (even though it ended with a "Success" message).

Options
2022-01-29 03:48:29

Hello @bassman458, I would also suggest resetting the router to factory defaults, then confirm. Before the reset, you can backup the file, if the factory reset works, you can try uploading the config file back into the router then confirm again.

Options
2022-01-29 16:59:14

@Kevin_Z I did the factory reset, but it didn't work. I have a replacement unit coming from Amazon late today. Thanks to everyone for the assistance on this problem.

Options
2022-01-30 03:44:02

bassman458 wrote

@Kevin_Z I did the factory reset, but it didn't work. I have a replacement unit coming from Amazon late today. Thanks to everyone for the assistance on this problem.

Hello @bassman458, thank you very much for the update also. I hope the replacement will work fine just out of the box for you, but let me know if there is anything that comes up. Good day.

Options
2022-01-30 14:38:38 - last edited 2022-01-30 15:16:48

@Kevin_Z When I first powered up the replacement router,  Tether connected without issue.  Then I uploaded my backup configuration file from the first router, this was made immediately after that (first) router was first installed and everything including Tether worked.  Now Tether doesn't connect to it.  I am so frustrated by this. I have spent so many hours trying to debug this,  to no avail. If TP link would put the Device Prioritization and other Tether controls in the web interface, where they should be by default, it would be no issue, as I really don't want to manage parts of the router from my phone. 

Options
Re:AX73 (Archer AX5400) Tether won't connect after firmware update-Solution
2022-01-30 22:39:01 - last edited 2022-01-31 16:47:42

So I think I have found the problem -- the "original" TPLink AX73 router (I'll call that router #1), is not writing good backup files. I discovered this by factory resetting it and testing Tether BEFORE installing any of my backup files. Tether connected and worked perfectly. I then tried installing my backup files starting from the oldest (when I first got router #1) to the latest - all of them result in a failure of Tether. However, if I factory reset and then hand-restore all my settings, Tether continues to work.

So, I was also able to get router #2 (the replacement) running using the same method. Note I did not try writing any of the router #1 backups to router #2, I simply hand-configured it. I have made a backup file of router #2, and will try installing that into router #1 to see if router #2 is writing good or corrupt backups.

Note that both routers are running the latest firmware from TPLink, which is 1.2.0 Build 20211222.

UPDATE 1/31/2022 -- I have confirmed that router #2 is writing good/working backups by wiping router #2 and reloading the last backup written from that router. It came up with no issues and Tether is working perfectly now.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-02-01 18:19:30

@bassman458 typically backups of config from older firmware versions cannot be used to restore on a newer firmware. Especially major build changes like this one had. It's more used for short term backup. My router too was running solid before this update. After update no device could connect to SSID.  I've had to factory default and manually input settings. The router was running solid till my scheduled reboot ran this morning and my manual dns settings got blanked. I have an ax4400.

Options
2022-02-04 16:28:16

@bassman458 

I have save firmware update in AX73. I have issue to connect with my sony bravia TV. I think i need to return router soon and will buy another brand. It waste my time and money. I think there is bug in either firmware or AX73.

Options
2022-02-09 05:39:50

KsGuy wrote

@bassman458 typically backups of config from older firmware versions cannot be used to restore on a newer firmware. Especially major build changes like this one had. It's more used for short term backup. My router too was running solid before this update. After update no device could connect to SSID.  I've had to factory default and manually input settings. The router was running solid till my scheduled reboot ran this morning and my manual dns settings got blanked. I have an ax4400.

Hello @KsGuy, do you mean the AX4400 will lose the internet connection once it's rebooted automatically? Is the internet LED orange? Who is your ISP?

Options
2022-02-21 07:19:39

@bassman458 Hi can I ask you about the home sheild  Setting why so time cannt Cloud Connect for 
That

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2372

Replies: 11