New Equipment Set-Up Need Serious Advice ASAP ***

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-24 02:10:00
Model: Deco W3600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.0 Build 202110121 Rel. 55167

So I'm on Spectrum's 400 Plus package, getting every bit of that speed over my current wi-fi setup, typically 475/40 Mbps. I currently use their ancient supplied Arris (Hiltron) Modem, but I just added the two Decos in an 1800 sq ft 2 story house.

The Co-Ax comes into the home downstairs and I have most stuff hardwired with a Linksys 5-way-switch.

There is one dead spot in the home that has always been an issue, my son's "gaming den". The first Deco is obviously plugged into the modem via the switch, and the 2nd Deco unit is directly above the main unit in the master bedroom. Somehow my son seems to manage unless he closes his door, which we all prefer!

I also just purchased or was gifted an Arris dual wireless router/modem Surfboard, model SBG10 DOCSIS 3.0 which is compatible with Spectrum.

Then rounding out the new equipment is an Archer A4400 router.

Both the Surfboard and the Archer are currently collecting dust as it seems the Decos don't all that well except with other Decos. 

Had I known this I wouldn't have purchased the Archer and it is too late to exchange it for another Deco to likely solve this setup issue. 

I know the Arris Surfboard is compatible with the Decos, assuming I have to put it into Access or Bridge mode, or is that not even necessary?

And TP-Link Support has been great & said there was a way to connect the Archer A4400 to the second Deco, but after the second attempt of not understanding 100% their directions, I decided to come here and see if anyone in the community may have had a similar situation with multiple brands and integrations.

Any and All help/input is greatly appreciated. I will respond ASAP if any additional information is needed. Also, relocating the modem from its current location is not an option.

Thanks, The Burro

WI-Fi Speed Junkie, Destroyer of Dead-Spots & Latency.
Options
9 Reply
Re:New Equipment Set-Up Need Serious Advice ASAP ***
2022-03-24 03:23:01

@The-Burro_1. 

Hi, Are you intended to replace the old Arris (Hiltron) Modem with a new Arris Surfboard, model SBG10?

If yes, you could have a try of the following network layout:

Spectrum 400m/s cable service---Arris Surfboard(working as a wireless cable modem router, no need to put it into bridge mode)---Linksys 5 ports switch---main W3600(in AP mode))))(((( 2nd W3600

Spectrum 400m/s cable service---Arris Surfboard(working as a wireless cable modem router, no need to put it into bridge mode)---Linksys 5 ports switch ---Archer A4400(also in AP mode)                                                                                                                                                                                                  

And if you have Ethernet ports around the house, you could also wire the second W3600 into the switch to create an Ethernet backhaul between Decos.

Since both Archer A4400 and Deco W3600 could work as wireless routers and access points, they are basically replaceable and when working as access points, it could avoid the double NAT issue.

Options
2022-03-24 06:19:50

@David-TP The Archer won't reach the Surfboard remember it's on the second floor unless you were saying that it could effectively cover the entire upstairs, which would leave me with Surfboard, Main Deco, 2nd Deco (possibly downstairs?), and the A4400 upstairs?

If you get some time perhaps in a bit more detail, please. Much appreciated.

Burro

Options
2022-03-25 02:16:50 - last edited 2022-03-25 02:28:20

@The-Burro_1. 

Thank you for the update.

So basically, there would be no way to get an Ethernet connection upstairs right and the AP on the second floor have to be wirelessly connected to the AP on the first floor?

there is a rough picture of the network topology:

As for how to set up Archer AX4400 as an access point and please have a look at this link:

How to configure the TP-Link wireless router as Access Point?

Options
2022-03-25 02:21:33

@David-TP Correct no way for Ethernet or Coaxial connection upstairs I initially thought the 4400 would have been connected to the Surfboard or the older Arris and the Decos would have simply extended that network to the rest of the home. 

Options
2022-03-25 02:38:40

@The-Burro_1. 

Thank you for the update.

Since Deco would not wirelessly connect to AX4400 or Arris Surfboard as an extender, the main Deco has to be put downstairs and wires to the switch or modem.

Currently, we could refer to the above topology and test the performance of AX4400 as an access point to see whether it could improve the overall performance 

Options
2022-03-25 03:05:32

@David-TP I can also omit the Surfboard and simply stay with the Arris modem I have in use, but the A4400 has enough LAN connections as the switch so it's a shame that I can't have that bad boy coming directly off the modem due to its power and capabilities. 

If I had simply just bought the A4400, is there any TP-Link mesh wi-fi 6 hubs/products that would work with the Archer or would I simply be better off just adding to the Decos?

All of this no compatibility has me extremely frustrated. 

Thanks for all your input, 

Options
2022-03-25 03:07:08
Also, using the A4400 simply as an AP isn't that like not utilizing any of it's strong features?
Options
2022-03-25 06:34:02

@The-Burro_1. 

Hi, as for the mesh compatibility, you could have a look at this link:

TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

So they cannot build a mesh network together.

For using Archer AX4400 as the OneMesh router, there are some compatible OneMesh extenders, such as 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/onemesh/product-list/#range-extenders

And the mentioned network layout:

Old  Arris (Hiltron) Modem----Archer AX4400---<wired>-Deco W3600(downstairs in AP mode))))(((( Deco W3600(upstairs in AP mode)

It also works if you want to set up Deco W3600 as a wireless router and just the recommended AP mode could avoid double NAT issues.

And comparing with OneMesh combination Archer AX4400 with OneMesh Extenders(take RE600x for example and you might also need two RE600X), I would vote for a three-pack Deco W3600.

Thank you again.

Options
2022-03-28 06:39:31 - last edited 2022-03-28 06:39:54

@David-TP Another quick question. I have the Main Deco going into the Router and also into the Linksys switch so that everything that is hardwired into the switch is connected to the modem.

We've been having a ton of daily offline red Main Deco alerts as to where I have to optimize the network to get everything to work again which is in no way normal. Does it matter what port on the main deco the router and the switch are connected to?

Thx, Burro

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 590

Replies: 9

Related Articles