AX55 strong 2.4Ghz signal but dismal transfer speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-27 04:20:59 - last edited 2022-03-30 16:34:08
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

EDIT: I changed the title to reflect my recent findings (see last post at the bottom).

I just got an AX55 to replace an old NetGear R6400 since I wanted the benefits of Wi-Fi 6, but almost immediately I had to return to my old trusty R6400 since the 2.4Ghz band on the TP-Link was just terrible. A lot of my IoT devices that are relatively far away from the router (motion sensors, cameras, kitchen & laundry devices) completely lost connection and walking with my cell phone around those areas confirm that they were dead spots or speeds were <1Mbps which caused intermittent disconnects.

I would have expected a brand new, more modern router with better technology to outperform or at least be equal to an AC1750 router from 2015, but alas that was not the case. Both routers were placed in exactly the same spot, using the same 2.4Ghz channels and antennas were also pointed in a similar manner. For example, the laundry room is virtually right under the router, 1 floor below and the R6400 is able to still deliver ~40Mbps whereas the AX55 has almost no reach and sometimes connects but with mere Kbps.

First thing I did was update the firmware on the AX55. One weird detail I noticed is that the one I got says: "version 1.6", but TP-Link's website only shows v1.0 and v2.6 models, so it's either a typo on their site or my unit shouldn't exist. I bought it directly from Amazon (not the marketplace).

Is there something I'm missing with this particular router or is it simply so bad when it comes to signal strength? The only good thing I can say about it is that the 5Ghz transfer speeds are very strong right next to the router but that band's range also drops way faster than in the R6400.

A visual inspection doesn't show anything damaged and wires to each antenna seem to be present (there is a small gap where you can see them).

Options
16 Reply
Re:AX55 dismal 2.4Ghz signal range
2022-03-28 06:23:29

@EricGM 

Regarding the hardware versions, you can actually find the explanation under the firmware page which states "Normally Vx.0=Vx.6/Vx.8 (eg: V1.0=V1.6/V1.8)", so you can update and install the latest firmware for V1. What's more, you can check for the updates on the router web GUI or via the Tether app, which will get the correct firmware update for the hardware.

As per the 2.4G coverage issue, do you mean all the IoT devices cannot connect to it? What is the distance from the router? How about the RSSI on the IoT device app for the network when they connect? I would suggest trying different wireless channels for the 2.4G network, you may install a Wi-Fi analyzer on the phone to monitor the network around you, then choose one that less congested with others.

Options
2022-03-29 17:37:53 - last edited 2022-03-29 17:58:18

@Kevin_Z Thanks. I reconnected the router and tested around different areas. I did have an old laptop with a wifi analyzer installed and things seem to have improved, strange since I didn't change any settings. Still same 2.4Ghz channel and all. It can't be that the previous day there was more interference since it'd have affected the Netgear as well. I had an old Asus which tended to overheat and dropped signal strength until it cooled down again. Let's hope that's not the case here. I will keep testing it.

One thing I can't find is the setting to enable/disable beamforming to check if it's enabled. Apparently it should be under Wireless -> Additional Settings, but it's not here:

e451f69e05e0481b9c7b02c85b4ff72d

88318e1c8c0849848d7be185ab24bd06

Options
2022-03-29 23:53:46 - last edited 2022-03-29 23:58:09

@Kevin_Z So it didn't take long for the router to start acting up again on the 2.4 Ghz band. I think range is NOT the issue, but for some reason, the router's throughput drops to the point where devices lose connectivity intermittently or completely. It's not a constant issue and today it appeared after around 6 hours of uptime (since my last post when I re-connected it).

The router is on a shelf, vents not blocked by anything and it only feels warm to the touch, so it doesn't appear that overheating is an issue. Both memory and CPU usage are also non-indicative of resource overloading or overheating. There are in average 10-20 devices connected to it at the same time:

b417e826ae584b22a0a7d4b7b52cd5dc

I moved to one of the problematic spots and even though signal (RSSI) remains usable (and similar to that of the Netgear), for some reason transfer speeds are close to nothing:

This is the Netgear R6400 RSSI (channel 8, green):

e559e6d5adf24c509da3c876c960652e

This is the Archer AX55 RSSI (channel 8, blue):

ed41985683fc4eb7934618efbd171fc2

Even though the archer has stronger signal, the R6400 is able to deliver ~40Mbps in that same spot. The AX55 struggles to start a speed test and once it does, it never goes past 600Kbps or so. When I first connected the Archer today, it was behaving fine, so at some point in its 6 hours of uptime, something happened. I tested speeds in the same spot with both a Lenovo T430s laptop (source of screenshots above) and an iPhone 13 Pro. Both returning almost identical numbers. As soon as I move to an area with about -50 or more dBm, I regain connectivity and see good transfer speeds.

I don't know what's at fault here. System logs show nothing strange. Both routers have been set up as AP, if that's useful information. The latest firmware mentions this:

Bug Fixed:
1. Fixed the bug that the router has unstable internet connection in some cases;

So maybe it's not really fixed yet and another firmware update is in order?

Options
2022-04-01 07:00:55

@EricGM 

Thank you very much for all the detailed information, we appreciate it.

As far as I can confirm, Beamforming should be enabled by default, and there is no setting to configure on its web. 

We do have a newer beta firmware published here, maybe you can install it on the router to monitor the 2.4G connectivity.

Options
2022-04-08 16:20:57 - last edited 2022-04-08 16:21:36

@Kevin_Z Thank you, I will try that firmware out, although it only seems to cure frequent DNS requests.

I delayed my response because I was running some more tests. I switched several router settings on/off (e.g. OFDMA) and re-installed the latest non-beta firmware (it was already running that last version, but thought it couldn't hurt to flash it again) to try to pinpoint the cause. Nothing seemed to fix the very slow/intermittent transfer speeds, except for this:

My AX55 misbehaves when using channel 8 on the 2.4Ghz band (the "auto" setting also goes there by default). No other settings affect bandwidth or stability, but for some reason I can't use channel 8. I manually switched over to channel 4 and it has been stable for several days now with plenty of uptime.

Now, first thing you would think is that there is significant interference on channel 8 in my area, but like shown in the previous screenshots, the Netgear had no issues with that channel for years. There is clearly something wrong with the AX55 (at least my unit). I don't know if it's software or hardware related, but it may be a good idea for you to relay this info back to engineering so they can test. I didn't test other sub-frequencies other than 8 and 4. This may surface using other channels too.

Options
2022-04-11 10:53:43

@EricGM 

Thanks for getting back and it's glad to hear that changing the channel manually to 4 from 8 fixed the intermittent transfer speed issue in your network. We will report this information to the support engineers but I cannot guarantee they can reproduce the issue as the wireless interference will vary in different environments, we will pay attention to similar feedback also. You can monitor the connectivity and performance of the current settings on the AX55 now, please report back if there is still an issue.

Options
Re:AX55 strong 2.4Ghz signal but dismal transfer speeds
2022-08-05 10:09:24 - last edited 2022-08-05 10:10:37

@Kevin_Z 

I have also been having the same issue on my TP-Link AX55, even with a added-on OneMesh RE505X on my network. I find it very disappointing to see this happen on a significantly more expensive router than my previous Tenda AC18 that had zero issues on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Current issues on the AX55 , slow link speeds on 2.4Ghz (my 5Ghz speeds are around 250Mbps and 450Mbps depending on type of 5Ghz device) ,

whereas 2.4Ghz devices which includes modern phones like the OnePlus 8T, iPhone SE 2nd Generation, OnePlus 3T and a Macbook Pro M1 Pro 16, get only 5-20 Mbps, which is disappointing because my previous Tenda AC18 maintained a solid 100mbps on 2.4Ghz on the same internet provider with same internet package. 

This seems like a serious product defect, or something that you guys need to address from a software update since I have kept up with the latest updates and even set my router to check for auto-updates at 3am every morning.

Options
2022-08-05 14:23:35 - last edited 2022-08-05 14:26:19

@Kevin_ Same problem here.

I work from home, and am about 7-8 meters away from the AX55 router (in central position in a 700 square feet appartment, no obstacle). I experienced WiFi dropping connected to the 5Ghz at this distance (which suprised me!), so try connecting to the 2.4Ghz cause WiFi coverage is better in general. 

I have a 30Mbps connection and as you can see below, I am far from this result (3 tests: 0,93 ; 2,63 and 6,85 mbps downstream connection). I checked with my ISP, there was no issue on their end, I am always delivered the 30mbps at the modem level (Motorola SB6120 Docsis 3.0).

Had also much better experience with older router unfortunately, and share the same disapointment of having paid a premium router for better performance, and only experimenting worse ones.

Didn't try to reverse engineer the problem like Eric (thank you!), but definitely interested in a fix.

802d04d5857e44fca887ed07be1cb7e4

Options
2022-08-08 02:07:30

Ryanrocksize5 wrote

@Kevin_Z 

I have also been having the same issue on my TP-Link AX55, even with a added-on OneMesh RE505X on my network. I find it very disappointing to see this happen on a significantly more expensive router than my previous Tenda AC18 that had zero issues on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Current issues on the AX55 , slow link speeds on 2.4Ghz (my 5Ghz speeds are around 250Mbps and 450Mbps depending on type of 5Ghz device) ,

whereas 2.4Ghz devices which includes modern phones like the OnePlus 8T, iPhone SE 2nd Generation, OnePlus 3T and a Macbook Pro M1 Pro 16, get only 5-20 Mbps, which is disappointing because my previous Tenda AC18 maintained a solid 100mbps on 2.4Ghz on the same internet provider with same internet package. 

This seems like a serious product defect, or something that you guys need to address from a software update since I have kept up with the latest updates and even set my router to check for auto-updates at 3am every morning.

@Ryanrocksize5 Are these modern phones far from the AX55 and RE505X, and do they need to connect to the 2.4G to get a stable connection? If not, I guess they would get a better speed when connecting to the 5G network.

What is the speed you paid for the network, and is it possible to check the link speed between the wireless clients and the AX55? Here we want to confirm what is the link speed between the client and the AX55, so please remove the RE505X temporarily from the network.

As we know the 2.4G network is pretty much congested, so it's suggested to run a Wi-Fi analyzer and select a clear channel on the AX55, then monitor the speed again.

Options
2022-08-08 02:17:08

TangO.o wrote

@Kevin_ Same problem here.

I work from home, and am about 7-8 meters away from the AX55 router (in central position in a 700 square feet appartment, no obstacle). I experienced WiFi dropping connected to the 5Ghz at this distance (which suprised me!), so try connecting to the 2.4Ghz cause WiFi coverage is better in general. 

I have a 30Mbps connection and as you can see below, I am far from this result (3 tests: 0,93 ; 2,63 and 6,85 mbps downstream connection). I checked with my ISP, there was no issue on their end, I am always delivered the 30mbps at the modem level (Motorola SB6120 Docsis 3.0).

Had also much better experience with older router unfortunately, and share the same disapointment of having paid a premium router for better performance, and only experimenting worse ones.

Didn't try to reverse engineer the problem like Eric (thank you!), but definitely interested in a fix.

802d04d5857e44fca887ed07be1cb7e4

@TangO.o If the distance is only 7-8 meters and there are no obstacles, you should be able to connect to the 5G network of the AX55. Please try to run a Wi-Fi analyzer and review the 5G network around you, then pick up one that with less interference with others to test the connectivity again.

As replied to Ryanrocksize5 that 2.4G would be congested in most networks, you need to choose one with the least interference from others on the router. You can also check the link speed on the client devices as described here. You can read this story to understand if the actual speed is normal.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2732

Replies: 16

Related Articles