Archer A7 Suddenly Unable to Renew DHCP IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-01 01:57:08 - last edited 2022-05-01 04:24:07
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Hi everyone, 

I've seen some similar posts here on the forums, so I apologize for making yet another. But, I've tried a few of the fixes I've found here to no avail, so I thought I would make a post to see if anyone could tell me what is going on. I'll tell you a bit about what I've tried and what my ISP has told me to see if anyone has any solution.

For about 48 hours, my Archer A7 semi-randomly loses its connection to my ISP. I say "semi-randomly" because it consistently does it between every 4-5 hours. I can't get an exact fix because I'm usually not using the internet right at the time it fails (or noticing that it has failed) but it is definitely between 4-5 hours after the last router reboot or manual release and renewal of the Dynamic IP. 

After dealing with this several times during the workday Friday, I called my ISP to get some help the next day. Just in case maybe it was a modem problem. However, it wasn't, and they confirmed that the last time my router had asked for a new lease had been earlier that morning, and that it definitely should have asked for one a couple more times since then, but it did not. My ISP could see some data and determined that it looked like the router was not picking up a new IP lease when it should, thus determining that I had no internet access. Again, a manual reboot of the router or my manual releasing of the IP fixes this issue, until the next interval 4-5 hours later. 

Based on talking with my ISP and some of the fixes here, we decided I should change the lease time from the default to something else. I shortened it to an hour, but this didn't help. I wondered if perhaps the router was having trouble renewing the IP after a certain number of successful renewals, so I then set the timer to the ludicrously low number of 6 minutes, wondering if perhaps it would fail to renew after a few tries/minutes instead of the usual 4-5 hours. This didn't help either. Which, given my limited understanding leads me to believe that the router has no problem releasing and renewing the IP as many times at it wants for the given lease time. It always stops doing it at the 4-5 hour mark regardless of how often it needs to perform the renewal. 

I suppose it could be faulty, but it is only a few months old, and it is odd that it is perfectly capable of doing its job for several hours after a reboot or manual release. 

A few other things:

I didn't change any settings recently prior to this problem starting. In fact, haven't needed to do anything to it since getting it until now. 

It did need a firmware update, which I did, though this did not help. I also reset the network again completely and set it up again. This also didn't help. I read some threads where some people felt that rolling back the firmware solved their issue, but mine was occurring before I updated the firmware. This is the first time I updated the firmware since I got the router.

Got a new cable for the connection between the router and modem just in case a physical connection was faulty, also no help. 

I have not changed the lease time to a much longer time than the default, yet, but based on the fact that it doesn't seem to care when the lease is up, only when the 4-hour mark has passed, I am not sure this would do anything.

With no problems for the modem, either, I'm at a loss as to what to do. It could be I need to replace the router, but since I use the internet for work, I wanted to try every possible thing first.

I do plan to report back to my ISP next week, but I also wanted to check here to see if anyone else had any ideas. 

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: I've also found out that, although manually releasing and renewing the DHCP fixes the problem for about 5 hours, doing this in the middle of the previous reset does not extend the "timer". For example, if the router fails to release and renew at 6p.m., and I decide to release and renew at 8p.m., it will still fail to release the IP at around 11p.m., 5ish hours from the last time it failed to do so, even if I did a manual release and renew in between then. It is as though the router feels it must wait that alloted time before it decides to not release and renew. 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer A7 Suddenly Unable to Renew DHCP IP
2022-05-02 19:28:48

Hi @justus28 ,

I am sorry for all of the inconveniences that you are experiencing with your internet connectivity. I can understand that this would be a pain having to do resets during work hours. It is strange that all of these problems started happening in the last 48 hours and without making any changes to the settings of the router or your network configuration.

We appreciate all of the information that have provided in your post, but we need a little more info to understand what might be the cause of your issue, would it be possible for you to give us more information regarding both your ISP, the data plan you are on, and the make/model of the modem that you are using?

Meanwhile, you could also try and get an eye on your modem and router when the internet first goes out to see what lights are on and off to further identify what might start the chain of events that results in your internet disconnecting. Also, you can go into the advanced tab in the routers settings to find the system log to see if the router is reporting any errors.

Options
2022-05-02 21:46:20

@Riley_S 

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'll try to give as complete information as possible. 

I do have a system log, but I am unsure what to look for. Most things don't look like error messages. I do have some data that is listed as from before I even purchased and set up the router (brand new in box), so that seems a bit strange, but maybe that is normal. I also have some data from today, but no data from the past few days (when I was also logging into the router to check things out, and previously I did have some data from days like 4/30, but the messages were similar to what I can see from 5/2).

All of the data is regarding what appear to be general service starts or functions enabled, all from today, and nothing appears to be an error message, but I am not well-versed. I can find a way to share if necessary. 

My internet plan is for unlimited data, and my ISP assigns dynamic IPs. I can try to find out more ISP-specific information if you need it. The speeds, modem, and everything all seem fine once I release/renew the DHCP Server side IP in the routers settings (or turn it off and on again), but the problem reoccurs after a few hours. 

When I lose connection to the ISP, the modem's lights stay on (four solid green). Three of the four router's lights stay green. The encircled globe light (this is the fourth one if you are facing the router and starting from the left where the power LED is) turns to orange. Even in this case, I can still connect to my wireless network via my phone to access the Tether app to check the router's status, but the computer and other devices otherwise lose all access. 

The modem is, unfortunately, in a place where it is very hard for me to see the front plate (but I can bend down enough to see the lights) so it is hard to see what the make and model of it is at this moment, but my ISP has checked it a few times since I called them over the weekend and today, and they indicate there is no issue with it that they can see. I'll try to get under there to get the make and model for you if necessary. 

The router is quite new, and I'd like to avoid the hassle of a return and replacement if possible. 

Again, thank you very much. 

Options
2022-05-03 00:22:10

Hi @justus28,

I found your thread on another forum and using the information provided between the two; I'm inclined to believe that the issue you are facing with your internet has to do with the modem configuration. Out of curiosity, When connecting the router to the modem does the WAN IP address in the router configuration indicate a private address(ie 192. or 172.) or an external facing IP address?

In order for a gateway(modem/router combo) to work it must be placed in bridge mode. Is it possible that the Bridge Mode on the Gateway could have been disabled in an update? However this seems unlikely given that the connection is intermittent.

The real tell is when you stated that you connected your computer directly into your modem and it was unable to get an IP address and connect to the internet. This is one of the first lines of troubleshooting and shows that something may have changed on the modem or in the configuration for the network. It is also possible that a change was made to upgrade your service that happened to make the system incompatible.

I would recommend contacting your ISP, resetting your modem, or receiving a replacement modem. If you rent your modem from your ISP, which it sounds like you do given it was provided by them; it may be possible to have a replacement provided.

Also, I would recommend looking into a coax extender adapter or cable. This would allow you to extend the length of the line coming into your house a few feet so that the modem will be easier to access in the future. If you have any other developments that may shed some light on the situation, such as the modem model; please let me know.

Options
2022-05-03 00:51:07

@Riley_S 

Hi there,

Thanks for doing some digging to find my other thread, I really appreciate that. 

I did have to go down to look at the modem again today (I think I mention that in the other thread) and couldn't find make and model info, at least not in a place where it is readily visible. I do rent it from the ISP, you're right. 

When you mention the WAN IP in the router, do you mean the Default Gateway value that I can see under the DHCP Server heading? If so, that is indeed a 192. There are also blank optional spaces for primary and secondary DNS. If there's any other values you would like me to check out, I'm happy to. 

Do you have a recommendation as to what I might say to the ISP? I only ask because they are very sure everything is super good on their end, and I am unsure how exactly to convince them that the problem might come from some kind of issue that they did that needs to be either changed back or a different modem installed. Is there a way for me to check this bridge mode status?

Thanks so much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1043

Replies: 4