WAN Connection Error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WAN Connection Error

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WAN Connection Error
WAN Connection Error
2022-05-12 03:50:48
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, just had a thunderstorm and right after a very close lightning strike my internet went out. I checked the provider and showed no outages. The modem is showing it has internet and has internet. When I try to connect to the network I get a WAN Connection Error and says the WAN port is unplugged. Does this mean the lightning strike fried my WAN port or could it be something else?

Options
1 Reply
Re:WAN Connection Error
2022-05-12 17:18:26

Hi  @Stewpac19,

First things first, though, it is recommended that during a lightning storm you unplug any electronics and networking devices for the duration of the storm. We know that some people may not wish to do this so that they can stay up to date with the latest news regarding the storm. 

If you think that something may have happened with your network during a storm, there are some basic troubleshooting steps that we can take to determine what may have gone wrong. 

1. In case there was an outage somewhere along the line of your ISP, I would start by taking your whole network down for a short period and reconnecting devices one at a time. Starting with the modem and then the router. This will allow all of your devices to only need to connect once and will refresh each device with new information.
  2. If there is still no internet coming through your Wi-Fi, but the modem still indicates that you are connected to the internet, I would recommend connecting one computer directly into your modem to ensure that you are receiving a usable signal into your house.
  3. If you have internet, reconnect the modem to the router and begin troubleshooting using the UI of the router. If there are any issues with the router, they should be displayed on the Web UI.  If you do not have a connection, contact your ISP to see if there were any reports (just because an app says there are none, people may still be experiencing outages or interruptions)

Lightning storms can have a massive effect on infrastructure, such as a power line going down that was providing power to a node on the same network up the chain, just 5 miles away.

Let me know if you get everything figured out, or if we need to have additional troubleshooting steps

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 751

Replies: 1

Related Articles