Verizon Fios, MOCA Bridge and Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-18 18:44:33
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6

I have Verizon FIOS for internet and TV. jMy internet connection speed is 100 mb up and down. My current configuration is an Actiontec MI424WR Rev i that connects to the ONT via coax and running an ethernet cable from the Actiontec router to my Deco M5. . I'd like to upgrade my internet spped and to do that Verizon will migrate the connection to ethernet and they want me to buy or rent a new router from them, as it acts as a MOCA bridge and sends the cable guide to the STB over coax. Rather than getting a new router, has anyone connected the ONT ethernet cable directly to the Deco M5, then run an ethernet cable from the Deco M5 to a MOCA bridge and connect the MOCA bridge to the coax installed in the house?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Verizon Fios, MOCA Bridge and Deco M5
2022-07-20 07:52:51 - last edited 2022-07-21 01:36:53

@gebjeff 

Hi, welcome to the community.

I have seen other users have the following layout and they are working well.

So as long as there is no limitation for third-party routers on Verizon service, Deco M5 will work well.

And I do have one more question: will you tend to connect Ethernet devices, like wired laptops via the MOCA bridge or do you want to use MOCA bridge to create Ethernet backhaul between Deco units?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
2022-07-20 15:49:22

@David-TP 

Thanks for the reply. However, I think I need to provide more information.

I am not looking to bridge ethernet over existing coax in order to connect another PC or M5. Basically, I want to get rid of Verizon's router/MOCA bridge, so I have only one network router (the M5).

The potential issue I have is that it is my understanding that the current setup has the STB guide, on demand streaming, and my recordings information being transmitted over ethernet and the video comes through the coax. That is, the Actiontec router performs the following functions:

1. Ethernet/internet comes from the ONT to the router via coax and the router bridges ethernet/internet to router's ethernet ports and wifi.
  2. Bridges the ethernet/internet-based STB guide, etc. to the STB over the coax. 

When I upgrade my speed, a Verizon tech told me that my cable TV and internet will comes from the ONT by ethernet and that I'll need a new ridiculously expensive Verizon router that provides the MOCA bridge to bridge both the cable TV and STB guide, etc. to the STP over coax. I've read where others have connected other vendors non-mesh routers to the ONT's ethernet and connected the router, via ethernet, to a MOCA bridge, that the MOCA bridge injects the cable TV and STB guide, etc into the coax, and the coax-connected STBs work as if the Verizon router is used.

Does what I want to do make sense?

Options
2022-07-21 02:09:35

@gebjeff 

Thanks for the update.

I browsed the user manual of Actiontec MI424WR Rev and I do see there is a separate LAN coax port(besides the WAN coax port) for other devices using a coaxial cable from ISP. In this way, After replacing it with M5 and using the MoCA bridge to provide a LAN coax connection, I could not guarantee it would work but it is worth a try.

There is something you need to set up on M5:

1. Enable IPTV  on the main Deco.

2. choose Version IPTV profile and if there is none, please choose "Bridge mode"

Actually, on the user manual of Actiontec MI424WR Rev, except for the WAN coax port, I see there is also a WAN Ethernet port.

So basically, after updating the Verizon service, Actiontec MI424WR Rev also could be used to connect to ISP via Ethernet.

In this way, the previous layout should still work:

Verizon updated service---Ethernet---Actiontec MI424WR Rev----Ethernet--M5

\----Lan coax---STB

fc6906a6f0f048c59d4a0c072f3faebf                                                     

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 888

Replies: 3

Related Articles