Best option to use with an Archer AX 1500 (AX10) to extend coverage.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-29 14:05:43 - last edited 2022-08-29 14:08:08
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.31 Build 20220401 Rel.57404

I currently have and Archer AX1500 that I got on Amazon back in 2020. It's this one: Archer AX1500. I love this router and have had ZERO issues with it. I have a ranch style house that's approx. 2,500 square feet. My router is in the middle of my house. I setup a home office on one extreme end of the house and although the Archer reached it OK and I got internet, I wanted it to be a little more powerful so I bought a TP-LInk AC1200 Extender and placed it near my office. This also worked well as I have very fast WIFI in my office now. HOWEVER, I really want to extend my coverage into my backyard, as we have a pool house that we have fixed up and want to add some smart devices to, but the internet just doesnt quite reach out there enough. Also, the internet on the OTHER end of my house is not quite as powerful either, but that's not as important. What I really want to do is get internet blasted out to the backyard. I'm just trying to figure out the best option here. The difference now is that I have no problem adding some hard wires where needed. Currently, the extender I have is strictly wi-fi based. Since I already have the Archer 1500 and they are only $69, should I just buy another one of those and hard wire it to use it as an extra access point in my office, (which has a window to the backyard) or would that be silly to have two full fledged routers only to use one as just an access point? I have my current extender setup as mesh and it works fine and it does it's job, but it is not hard wired. Ultimately, I would like some additional hard wired access points coming off my main Archer 1500 acting as a hard wired mesh network, I just can't figure out the best combination of TP-Link products that will fit this bill the best. I am also fine with hard wiring an outdoor access point and putting it in the backyard. Again I just dont know the best solution here. My neighbor has Orbee units and it is blasting internet throughtout his house and all over his backyard and in to MY backyard. I connected to his internet (he's family) in my backyard and it was faster than my own internet and all his units are in his house. He has one main and two satelittes. But I hate Orbee and I want to stick with TP-Link as I love the products. I just want to figure out the best combo of products to cover my whole house and my backyard considering I already own the AX1500 and the Wifi extender extender. I have no problem buying an entirely new TP-link router if it means retiring my current one as it is an older model now.

THANKS

Options
3 Reply
Re:Best option to use with an Archer AX 1500 (AX10) to extend coverage.
2022-08-30 23:23:39

@805Erich,

For your backyard needs, TP-Link's business brand Omada offers outdoor access points. Many of these are PoE which make the setup much easier as they wouldn't require a designate power source. Be warned, however, these are our business class products and the OmadaMesh is not currently compatible OneMesh. This means it would have to be configured as an Access Point. When configured like this your backyard would have to be a separate network that your device would switch to when outside, as is the case with any access points or router configured as an AP.

It is not uncommon to use multiple routers in this way, and is what is found in many network installations, especially due to the ethernet ports available on a router compared to an Access Point. The main difference for your situation is that it is far more common to find outdoor Access Points than it is an Outdoor Router.

Personally, I would recommend waiting to complete a whole home network for a short while, as new technologies and systems are coming out every month. Wi-Fi 6E just came out, and we are already looking towards Wi-Fi 7. Some of the features for the newest products and standards will definitely help in your situation. I know that TP-Link at a global scale has been looking into EasyMesh compatibility, so this may be something to look into for future upgrades.

Options
2022-09-01 03:10:27

@Riley_S Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of just having Poe access points for the backyard, but I don't like the idea of them needing to be different SSID's. I feel like our phones would not automatically connect and we would have to consciously switch networks. Unless you're saying the access point would be the same SSID as my home network? What would be the best option if I wanted to add to my already existing One Mesh system? Is there an option that I can hard wire for the backyard, but it would essentially be apart of my already existing mesh network?

Options
2022-09-01 22:10:16

@805Erich,

The two different SSIDs is technically what is happening, but you wouldn't have to switch between the networks consciously. There are features on your router such as fast roaming that allow your devices to quickly switch between the networks when given the same network information. I would highly recommend looking into PoE Access Point options for your backyard as this will provide the absolute best connection quality. All of our PoE and Outdoor Access Points fall under our SMB category. 

For a onemesh configuration, the ability to connect routers to each other is in the works but is not available; so you would have to use a Range Extender in a One Mesh Configuration. Some of our Range Extenders have a built in capability of switching to Access Point Mode when provided a hardwired connection to the network. This is the most cost-effective option that would fit your network, unfortunately, we do not offer any outdoor products for one mesh. We are currently looking at adding more PoE and Outdoor Products to our home product lines so stay tuned for further updates. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 823

Replies: 3

Related Articles