Deco AXE5300/EX5300 will not connect smart devices; keeps dropping WiFi from iPhones/smart TVs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco AXE5300/EX5300 will not connect smart devices; keeps dropping WiFi from iPhones/smart TVs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-01 14:43:27
Tags: #WiFi Drop
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5

Good day, I have three EX5300 units hooked up to ATT fiber in default router mode with fast roaming and beamforming turned off.  All Deco units show connected.  Since hooking up the EX5300 units I am unable to connect all my smart switches and Alexa devices.  In addition, my iPhone, iPad, and Laptops will randomly loose WiFi signal (even when I am not moving from room to room).  However, I am able to reconnect my iPhone, iPad, and laptops by reselecting the WiFi network.  

Please let me know if anyone has had this issue of WiFi dropping on select devices and not allowing others to even join the network.  Below are my setup Details.

ISP ATT Modem/Wifi Router Combo setup

• disabled wifi bands
  • Router in IP Passthrough mode with main deco unit identified

Deco EX5300 Setting

• Router mode
  • Wireless back haul 
  • Turned off fast roaming and beamforming
  • IPV4 set to Dynamic IP with default gateway and Primary DNS matching ATT router
  • IPV6 dissabled
Options
13 Reply
Re:Deco AXE5300/EX5300 will not connect smart devices; keeps dropping WiFi from iPhones/smart TVs
2022-11-01 22:13:18

@War_Eagle_RT,

It almost sounds like there may be an incompatibility with the security/encryption that you are using on the router. This may explain why you are unable to connect your smart devices. 

When the devices disconnect, do they all disconnect at once, or does it happen randomly?

If this is happening on a device basis, the IP may not be refreshed in time by the DHCP server.

Does the color of the LED lights on either the main or satellite deco change when the dropout occurs?

Are you able to reconnect immediately, or is there a period in which the device cannot reconnect?

Lastly, Does the behavior persist if you reenable the IPv6 Functionality?

On a side note, you may also try changing the DNS server to a more common DNS server from a company such as Cloudflare or Google. One User stated they saw noticeable improvements in performance when using Cloudflare instead of their ISPs.

Options
Re:Deco AXE5300/EX5300 will not connect smart devices; keeps dropping WiFi from iPhones/smart TVs
2022-11-02 13:55:22

@Riley_S

Thank you for your response.  I very much appreciate you insight and help!

The ATT Tech was thinking along similar lines so we turned off all ATT router security in order to eliminate that conflict.  Now all security is handled by Deco unit using WPA2.  I am still having devices drop after the adjustment was made.  Please see answers to your questions below:

• Devices will disconnect randomly, not all at once.  Some devices will not connect at all.
  • The light remains green on the deco units when devices drop off.
  • On my iPhone, iPad, and computers I am able to reconnect immediately by opening up network menu and selecting WiFi.  Sometimes I have to wait for the Wifi to show back up, but usually the network is there.  I think the wait is due to the computer/ipad/iphone doing a wifi search.  Sometimes the devices will reconnect on their own.  An example is if I look at my iPhone after it was sitting locked it will show on cellular network, but as soon as I unlock the iPhone it will reconnect to the Wifi on its own.
  • Yes, I have this issue with IPv6 enabled or disabled. 

Thank you for the DNS Server recommendation.  Do you know how I would go about doing this?  Is it a setting in the Deco app?

Options
2022-11-02 20:51:01

@War_Eagle_RT,

Here is an FAQ for the DNS settings if you would like to change them: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1855/

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/180194

This FAQ is full of helpful information and settings that may be causing the behavior, I would first look at the mesh technology option and the fast roaming options. I know that the fast roaming option can cause similar behaviors, but not typically across the entire network. (This is on the Global Community, so make sure to come back to the US site if you cant find your post.)

You may be able first to determine if this is a DHCP issue if you assign a device a static IP address. If you use a static IP does the device still disconnect?

If you use a wifi analyzer app on your phone, does it show that there is a lot of interference from other networks?

Are you able to connect your Smart Devices to the Guest Network? This is often an easy solution as network settings can easily be changed, it can be limited to the 2.4Ghz band, and can still communicate with the devices on the rest of your network.

It may be worth trying to disable the smart connect feature on your deco

Before I pass this on to the Engineers to take a look at, they will want to know a bit more about your network configuration such as:

Are you connected to the ATT ONT, or are you using a router in between your ONT and Deco?

Do you have any switches between nodes or network devices?

Options
2022-11-03 21:48:41

@Riley_S  I updated DNS setting to use google then later to use Cloudfire.  I had the same result where devices were dropping off the network or would not even connect.  There was no positive change at all.  

I do not want to go the route of assigning a static DHCP because it impacts all my smart devices, so I would need a DHCP for every single one.  

I am really stumped here.  I never had this issue with my previous Wifi setup.  Any help you can provide will be greatly apreciated. 

Options
2022-11-04 00:16:21

@War_Eagle_RT,

The DNS settings would only have the potential to increase the overall network stability and speed. Did you try any of the solutions found in the second FAQ that i posted last time?

Options
2022-11-29 02:48:50
man there are not solutions for this issue in your FAQ, even there are several reports of Deco M5 customers reporting the same issue, I have passed two months debbuging all information that your FAQ recommends and other bolgs at internet without sucess. if there is a real problem with Deco M5 what is our option to solve the issue. in my case the system starts to dropping clientes when my WIFI reach the 45 clientes at same time, even if I reduce the number (disconnnect some devices to keep under 40 the dropping issue dissapears.
Options
2022-11-29 15:38:25

@Cuacco I could never get the Deco units to stop dropping IPhones and other smart devices off Wi-Fi regardless of number of units on WiFi, so I just returned the Deco and bought Orbi Mesh Wifi system.  I have not had any issues with Orbi since installing a week ago.  I am very disappointed in the deco mesh system and support.  I will not buy another TP Link product. 

Options
2022-11-29 15:54:18 - last edited 2022-11-29 15:55:04

@War_Eagle_RT  This is too late to help you but maybe it will help others. Some devices do not play well with 160mhz band width. Set the 2.4/5ghz bands to use 80mhz bandwidth. It helped me, my Alexa devices are connected without dropping.

Options
2022-11-30 21:07:37

@War_Eagle_RT 

should it be a good option buy one unit of X60 a put it as main Deco and other 3 M5 as satellites?

or but a fourth M5 device and integrate to my mesh?

I am trying to understand if the number of decos or model of decos increase or determine the maximum number of cllientes connected?

my main Deco M5 is receiving around 20-23 devices connections at same time, while other two around 12-17 each one.

Thanks in advance

Options
2022-11-30 23:38:16

@Cuacco,

Both; the answer is both, at least in your situation especially. The M5 is a Wi-fi 5 device(AC), while the X60 is a Wi-Fi 6 device(AX). 

Every jump in Wi-Fi is making the communications between both devices and nodes more efficient, potentially allowing your network to better accommodate the traffic.

When it comes to how many clients are connected, it really depends on what you mean by connected. Every router only has a set amount of antennas which determines how many simultaneous connections can occur. However, the decos can support many more devices being connected, but it cannot send and receive traffic at the exact same time from all of these devices. This should never really be seen from a user side unless you have a crazy network setup that is pushing the limits of the device, as very few devices actually communicate with the router at all times.

Adding additional nodes increases the number of devices that can communicate on the network SIMULTANEOUSLY by simply adding additional antennas to the network. It may also be beneficial as the new nodes would provide better coverage for your devices, and may remove the load from your 2.4Ghz network, as your 5Ghz compatible devices would be able to connect with that band more frequently. 

If you are experiencing higher delays or problems with how many devices are currently connected, I would recommend upgrading your main node first, as this device will be in control of the overall features of the network and is most likely far more powerful than the M5 when it comes to managing connections. The absolute newest decos are advertised as supporting 200+ devices in a mesh configuration.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2015

Replies: 13

Tags

WiFi Drop
Related Articles