Switch from Xfinity Coaxial to Kinetic Fiber Optic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-07 14:25:21
Model: Deco W2400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm switching from Xfinity Coaxial service to Kinetic fiber optic today. Do I need to change any router settings?  

Options
5 Reply
Re:Switch from Xfinity Coaxial to Kinetic Fiber Optic
2023-02-07 18:48:57

@AdamF,

Depending on how you configured the internet connection type for the router, you may end up needing to change it from Dynamic to something like static or whatever is recommended for your router. The Dynamic Setting should work find in most cases, however there are a few modems/ISPs that require specific settings. I would recommend configuring your Fiber, make sure to place the modem in bridge or passthrough mode if needed, and then reconnecting the router to the modem. the router should receive new credentials  when it is connected without changing any settings.

Options
2023-02-07 19:34:49

@Riley_S thank you. Wi-Fi is working with new fiber on Dynatic.  My download and upload are still not where they need to be. Do you know of any settings that I may need to change to correct that?  My service is for 500 Mbps and I'm getting download and upload speeds of 80.  

Options
2023-02-08 01:04:44

@AdamF,

Make sure that you are testing on a wired connection. The speed test in the deco app does not measure the speed to the router, it measures the speed to your device/phone. This means that it is subject to wireless interference and the normal bandwidth and speed costs that come with wireless connections.

I would also recommend checking your QoS settings and ensuring that they are set to or above the speeds that you are expecting from your ISP. If the speed test is being performed over a hardwired connection, there are a few other settings that we could look at.

Options
2023-02-09 02:07:23

@Riley_S thanks again for the reply. 

I checked the QoS settings and I have them set to my current speeds, 500.  

The Wi-Fi test is still low.  952da7718df0482a9f0515fdc6ad3d1e

When my laptop is connected directly to the ONT (via Ethernet cable) the results are much faster. eec4280174054097ac8e31e0e08f6b3a

I hate to replace the router/mesh system if there is a setting I can correct. The hardware is currently 2.5 years old, so maybe that's it? 

Options
2023-02-13 18:24:29

@AdamF,

Are the speeds the same when the laptop is connected to the router instead of the ONT?

You may try changing your DNS server to see if the overall throughput increases.

Also, make sure that you are using the most up-to-date firmware, as there have recently been many optimizations to allow better connectivity with Fiber Networks.

Your Decos are using WiFi 5, which is beginning to become outdated, however, I think you may be able to raise you wireless speed slightly with some tweaking. In reality, however, Wi-Fi 5 only supports up to 200mbps which is further degraded from environmental factors

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 313

Replies: 5

Related Articles