TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX5400 - what is the largest size hard drive supported in the USB 3.0 port?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX5400 - what is the largest size hard drive supported in the USB 3.0 port?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-08 13:57:29
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

this question has been answered in relation to the AX55 before. does the usb3 port support large external drives?

there used to be a limit of 4tb on many of these devices, but it turned out the AX55 didn't have this limit.

would i be good connecting a 16tb drive to the AX72?

also, while i'm here, can i easily connect a drive already populated with data, or does it have to be formatted and wiped before using with this device?

thanks for your help.

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX5400 - what is the largest size hard drive supported in the USB 3.0 port?
2023-02-08 19:07:17

@gamera,

With any router, I imagine that 16TB will be a tall task. I wasn't able to find a hard set limit, but I will keep looking. However, my team made me aware that the limit was raised to 8TB for some devices, but it depends on the model. 

For 16TB of data, I would recommend looking at some sort of network attached storage. I would imagine that the router having to keep track of that much metadata and files names could potentially bog the router down. I would also be willing to bet that the router is keeping your drive active and online so that it can be seen on the network. While this isn't as much of an issue for small disks because of how inexpensive they are, it does put additional wear and tear on your drive. This is also dependent on if it is an HDD or SDD drive.

Also you do not need to format the drive before adding it to the router, you can easily move files to and from the drive after setup

Options
Re:TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX5400 - what is the largest size hard drive supported in the USB 3.0 port?
2023-02-09 01:06:25

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the reply. I already have a Nas and am hoping to add further redundancy/protection. The easy portability (and smaller cost) of a nas backup in the form of a smaller external drive was attractive.

It might still be. Using a smaller drive isn't ideal, but it could still be useful to me.

Thanks for your help 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 173

Replies: 2