Ethernet backhaul over TP-Link 5GHz N300 Long Range Outdoor CPE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-27 21:15:15
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Today I started with a mesh network of four Deco M9 Plus in my house.  On one of the satellite Deco's I have connected a TP-Link 5GHz N300 Long Range Outdoor CPE that is outside the window pointed at another TP-Link 5GHz N300 Long Range Outdoor CPE on my barn about 70 yards away.  On the barn N300 I have connected an older non-TPLINK router supplying WiFi to the barn with a different SSID than the SSID of the Deco's in the house.

I got a pack of 3 Deco X55's and this morning I added them to my Deco network in the house and made one of the new X55's the MAIN DECO unit.  At this point I had 7 Deco's in the house and things appeared to be working fine. 

About 6 hours later I took down two of the old Deco M9 Plus units as I only need five to cover the house.  I went out to the barn and disconnected the non-TPLINK router from the N300.  I then connected one of the M9's to the N300 there.  After a while the M9 did come with the green LED and the Deco app showed it as connected.  But shortly after that all hell broke loose. 

One of the new X55's suddenly went offline.  I power cycled it but it came back up red.  The M9 in the barn went down too.  My laptop connected to the new MAIN X55 with a mosh ssh terminal connection to work would just constantly show disconnects every 10-20 seconds for a few seconds at a time.  Another person in my house had a Zoom disconnect.  The satellite M9 on the house side of the N300-N300 barn connection would show offline but flip back online constantly. 

I went to the barn and disconnected the M9 there and hooked back up the non TPLINK router.  I had to power cycle several of the Deco's in the house.  Also had to reconnect the M9 I had in the barn back on in the house.  Now we seem to be back to a stable situation like we had in the morning.

Is there a reason what I did would not work and cause the problems I saw?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Ethernet backhaul over TP-Link 5GHz N300 Long Range Outdoor CPE
2023-02-27 22:08:03

Well things are still not going well with this setup.  My Dell laptop will initially connect to my new X55 at Wifi6 that is sitting just 10 feet away.  Speedtest gives me >500Mbps.  But later after seeing weird hangs in my ssh sessions to work I will go on the Deco App and check and it is connected to an old M9 Plus over 60 feet away and speedtest is < 20Mbps.  Nothing has moved.

Options
2023-03-02 06:57:07

@perain Hi, welcome to the community.

After changing Deco X55 as the main Deco, is your network layout like this: All Decos are on wireless Mesh Backahul, except for the CPE bridged M9 plus?

(Please check the signal source of each satellite Deco on the Deco APP to see which unlink Deco they are connected to.)

4975df51706042dab608d49ef435d70a

9947df67c2044ed09c89e4f467656b85

Have you noticed the main Deco X55 ever turned red during the disconnection?

If possible, we could temporarily disconnect the CPE bridge and Barn Deco M9 plus, only leaving 3*Deco X55 and 1*Deco M9 plus to see whether they could maintain a stable Mesh connection inside the house.

If satellite Deco X55s still randomly got offline and turned to flash red, the CPE long bridge connection would not be the problem.

Thank you very much.

Wait for your reply.

Options
2023-03-02 23:28:28

@David-TP 

Yes, that was the basic topology one other M9 plus in the house.   All in the house were going direct to the new main X55 (no daisy chain) and had strong signal.

After going back to my using the non-TPLINK router in the barn, everything seemed fine but later I noticed an issue.  The M9 plus that connects to the house-side CPE bridge (lets call it M9 #1) also has Tablo TV tuner/recorder connected to it on its other wired Gbe port (because the roof antenna also comes into the house at that location).  My smart TV (Roku) on WiFi on the other side of the house was connected through one of the new X55's I put on that side of the house. 

Trying to watch a recording on the Tablo that night the Tablo Roku app kept disconnecting from the Tablo device about 10 times in 15 minutes.  I took the M9 plus (lets call it M9 #2) I had tried to use in the barn on the other side of the CPE and used it to replace the M9 #1.  After doing that things have been working fine and I am able to watch recordings on the Tablo without disconnects.

So it could be that the M9 #1 is just bad/broken in some way and that was causing the issues before as well.  This weekend I may try putting an M9 in the barn again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 384

Replies: 3

Related Articles