Adding Deco to my existing Mesh network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-02 13:34:32
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there, I have two XE75 Pro units, both located in the 1st floor. They were linked with Cat6 Ethernet cable, so do I still need to set up 6 Ghz wi-fi for dedicated backhaul?

I got a weak signal coverage in 2nd floor and some weak spots in the 1st floor. So I plan to add two Deco W7200 units. The upstairs one will be connected to an Ethernet

cable to a switch down stairs, and then to the main deco unit. The one downstairs will be using 5Ghz channel for wireless backhaul, as this one doesn't have 6Ghz Wi-Fi.

Does this setup work? I am wondering if I can mix the backhaul? XE75 Pro using 6Ghz and W7200 using 5 Ghz.

Thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Adding Deco to my existing Mesh network
2023-03-02 18:59:10

@KaiJax 

When doing a mixed system only the units capable of a feature will make use of it.  This would mean that if you were to using wireless as a backhaul only the 2 XE75s would make use of 6GHZ.  Backhaul traffic between WiFi 6 and Wifi 6E would be over the two bands they have in common 2.4 and 5GHz unless you have disabled one of those bands.  However, if you have a switch and Ethernet cables ran your best option would be to use ethernet backhaul for all units.  Feed the 3 satellite units into the switch and then connect that switch to the main unit.  This will in most cases give you the best backhaul and make unit deployment easier.  Additionally, its less traffic down the useable bands so client performance will be better.  

You could even open 6GHz for clients if you have any that can use 6GHz 

Options
Re:Adding Deco to my existing Mesh network
2023-03-03 11:50:28

Thanks Carl.

Last night I set up my system like this: two satellite deco, XE75Pro and W7200, are connected to the main deco

unit (XE75 Pro) via ethernet cable. Another satellite deco W7200 is connected to main deco wireless. When I

open deco app and found that this deco (wireless backhaul) shows connection frequency 2.4GHz and 5GHz_1.

Since this is a triband router, does this mean 5GHz_2 is used as wireless backhaul? 

Options