Deco AX5700 MTU size needed for TMHI

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-13 22:34:26
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5

Hello! 

I am having slow speeds with T-Mobile home internet for my deco system. The TMHI tech support team suggested changing both of my AX5700 nodes, and my single W6000 node to use an MTU of 1420 to get close to speeds using the TMHI router.

can you please point me to the correct firmware links for both??

thank you,

matt Grant

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco AX5700 MTU size needed for TMHI
2023-03-14 16:53:35

@Matt12eagles,

MTU size is unfortunately not currently available as a customizable option for your Deco model. Just last week we saw the first Decos, the X50 and X55, see this feature added via a firmware update. The team is rolling out the feature to more models each week, so keep an eye out for any updates to your firmware. I would expect that your model would be a priority for development and may receive the feature sooner rather than later

Options
2023-03-14 17:47:02

@Riley_S 

thank you!

I will keep checking back. Please let me know if there is a beta available so I can get my routers working. 

thank you again!

Matt Grant

Options
2023-03-14 19:06:39

@Matt12eagles,

How much is your network affected by the MTU size? Or did your ISP give you an idea of what could be expected with the larger packet?

I have seen a few users now mention the MTU size and would like to gather more information to feed back to our development team on the topic.

Options
2023-03-14 20:37:49

@Riley_S 

I don't have any hard and fast numbers to share, but since T-Mobile home internet uses a lower and specific mtu size (around 1400) having it on routers increases ping and slows down the network in spikes.

it is noticeable with my work video and audio and gaming that every few seconds or so there is a "pause" and then it catches up.

if I Ethernet directly into the TMHI gateway, I have no issues as soon as I start using the deco (pass through or router mode, it doesn't matter) connected via Ethernet to both my laptop and the deco to the TMHI modem, the latency spikes start happening.

I did try using an old net gear wifi b/g router I had laying around and it was the same issue until I set the MTU down to 1400 and it worked as if I was connected to the TMHI gateway itself. It seems as the ISP is very sensitive to MTU's (and I suspect other 5G cellular isp's to be the same) 

Options
2023-03-14 20:39:16
With 5G ISP’s growing in usage exponentially these days… with the new rollouts, I suspect this will be a request for all of your router products that don’t have the option to be honest.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 396

Replies: 5