Deco X5300 - Open VPN Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-25 18:44:29 - last edited 2023-06-26 03:18:11
Model: Deco XE5300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230509 Rel. 63842

Hi all,

Would appreciate some guidance or suggestions with the OpenVPN setup.  Been search for a while and wasn't coming up with anything.  I previously had this working successfully on my netgear router and would like to get it setup again so I can remotely access the security cameras etc.    I think I'm getting stuck up with the subnet addresses.  

I have a network as follows:

1. Internet --> 2. ATT Fiber Modem/Router  --> 3. Deco with 3 nodes.  --> 4.  Switch --> 5. Connected to all devices.

When setting up the deco I select the following OpenVPN config:

Service Type:  UDP

VPN Port:  Port open on 2. ATT fiber modem (same one that was configured in prior router).  I.e. Sample port:  12345 (not actual just for illustrative purposes)

VPN Subnet: <what address needs to be used here> :  address from 2.  ATT Modem (192.168.x.x) or External IP? (104.62.xxx.xxx) or DECO router IP, or other range that isn't being used i.e. 192.168.255.255?  Have tried all 4 to no avail.  Or is it a seperate range that isn't used by the modem or Deco?  

Netmask: standard 255.255.255.0

Client Access:  Home Network Only

I have also enabled the DDNS service from TPLink and NOIP (previously used it successfully).

Errors:

*.  Connection failed to establish within given time

*.  Server Poll timout 

Went through the guides at:  How to set up The VPN Server/VPN Client Feature on a Deco Mesh Wi-Fi Router | TP-Link

Any suggestions welcome.  Thanks.  

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco X5300 - Open VPN Setup
2023-06-26 07:41:45

@StephanN 

Hi, welcome to the community.

As for the VPN subnet/netmask here,  you could randomly pick one from the private IP range. Here you could use 10.8.0.1/255.255.255.0 which will be the IP addresses for your OpenVPN clients.

Based on your network layout, 1. Internet --> 2. ATT Fiber Modem/Router  --> 3. Deco with 3 nodes.  --> 4.  Switch --> 5. Connected to all devices.

It seemed like there are two routers(NATs) in the network. So when Deco XE5300 works as the OpenVPN server, it is under the protection of the ATT router.

When you want to access the OpenVPN server from outside, you would need to open ports on the ATT router for Deco.

I see you mentioned that: "VPN Port:  Port open on 2. ATT fiber modem (the same one that was configured in prior router)", Do you mean you have opened the open on ATT modem router for Deco already?

If yes, there might be one step left to modify the remote IP address on the OpenVPN configuration file to the external IP on the ATT router-104.62.xxx

such as Step 12 mentioned under case 2https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1544/

Wait for your reply.

best regards.

Options
Re:Deco X5300 - Open VPN Setup
2023-06-26 13:37:33

@David-TP Thanks for the advice.  I was able to get it to work.  The adjusted subnet and step 12 addressed the issue.

Thanks again,

Stephan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 485

Replies: 2

Related Articles