AirDrop with Archer T3U Nano not working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-25 21:26:46
Model: Archer T3U Nano  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just purchsed an Archer T3U Nano USB adapter to replace the non-functioning built-in wifi on my MacBook Pro running macOS 10.15.7 but, after successful set-up and restart, I can no longer use AirDrop to send/receive from my other Apple devices, such as my iPhone. Bluetooth is active and I can be found, and the T3U Nano can be seen as active in the menu bar with a full "5 bar" signal strength. 

How can I get AirDrop to work with this new wifi adapter, or is that not possible because it is not an original Apple wifi card?

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:AirDrop with Archer T3U Nano not working
2023-06-26 08:59:42

@ekenne 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Is the internet working fine when connecting to Wi-Fi via T3U NanO?

I see you mentioned the MacBook Pro could still be found via AirDrop, so do you mean there is no Decline/Accept pop-up notification on the MacBook Pro later?

How about when Mac tried to send files via AirDrop? Will it be able to see iPhone and would there be any notifications on the iPhone?

After searching for a similar topic in Apple Community,  I didn't see it mentioned somewhere that AirDrop did not work with non-Apple Wi-Fi cards but I did find one post here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6750855

The expert here mentioned that:

AirDrop works by creating an ad hoc wireless network between the two devices. It requires an Airport card that can connect to two wireless networks simultaneously.

And I think T3U nano does not support connecting two wireless networks simultaneously.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:AirDrop with Archer T3U Nano not working
2023-06-27 20:05:45

@David-TP 

Thanks for your reply. 

No, the MacBook could NOT be found via AirDrop when trying to send something from my iPhone to my MacBook or vice versa, and the Internet indicator in the Menu bar showed 5 bars, so I guess that indicates the adapter was working properly.

I ended up having to purchase a used AirPort card for my MacBook and installing it myself, something I was hoping to avoid having to do by buying the TP adapter. Fortunately, doing that wasn't as difficult as I imagined it would be, but certainly not as easy as plugging something into an external USB port. Guess I learned a lesson or two.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 346

Replies: 2

Related Articles