Port forwarding message incorrectly displayed and confusing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-17 17:50:13
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20230601 Rel. 58453

The version on the bottom of the deco is 2.6, though that wasn't an option for the hardware version.

When trying to add a port forwarding rule via the app->home->more->Advanced->NAT Forwarding->Port Forwarding->+, I enter all the required information, however, when I'm finished and click Save I see the message, "Adding this entry will assign a fixed IP address to this device and clear the IP address you reserved for this device before.  Add now?", which is confusing, what is meant by "this device"?  The deco or the client ip address I'm trying to port foward to, I think it means the deco xe75.  Regardless, I clicked OK and it fails to save the port foward and just displays the same blank page with no ports forwarded.  I made a guess that perhaps the deco XE75 needs a static ip address (as it was getting it's IP from my ISP router, though that IP was reserved so it would remain the same, went back to home->more->Internet Connection and changed from Dynamic IP to Static IP, entered in the same information that was there for the Dynamic IP, clicked Save and retried the above.  I still get the same message, "Adding this entry will assign a fixed IP address to this device and clear the IP address you reserved for this device before.  Add now?", however, now it actually adds the port forwarding rule.

In my opinion, a better message would be "This router must be configured to use a Static IP address, instead of a Dynamic IP.  To accomplish this go to the Internet Connection under More and change the Internet Connection Type to Static IP and ensure, if you have this router connected to your ISP's router, that that address is reserved."  It's a bit wordy, but still better than the current message, at least for me.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Port forwarding message incorrectly displayed and confusing
2023-07-18 06:29:17 - last edited 2023-07-18 06:34:35

@livlif2fullest 

Hi, welcome to the community.

The fixed IP address here actually refers to the IP address of the mobile client, not any Deco.

When we start adding port forwarding rules, once it is added, it will automatically generate a profile under the address reservation for the same device.

So if a device has been reserved an IP address before configuring port forwarding and the reserved IP is different from what you add under the port forwarding, this error would pop out. If you continue adding, the new IP address in the port forwarding will override the reserved IP under the address reservation.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Options
Re:Port forwarding message incorrectly displayed and confusing
2023-07-18 10:12:14
OK, but it wouldn't save the port forward until I changed the deco XE75 to a static IP. I was choosing the device from the 'Use Client IP Address' option which was already reserved in the deco XE75, in both cases, b4 and after changing the deco XE75 to a Static IP and it would give me that message regardless, not until I changed the deco XE75 to a Static IP did it successfully save the port forward rule.
Options