Would a TP-Link RE650 extender be useful in my current setup?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-24 00:55:54

Using Verizon FiOS, the ONT box is located in the basement. The apartment unit is on the 2nd floor. The current setup is like this:

• ONT in the basement is connected to the primary Verizon router in the basement, yes both are in the basement

• Actiontec WCB6200Q wifi network extender is in the apt unit connected via Coax cable & Ethernet cable. Is this still acting as an extender or an access point now? I'm not entirely sure.

• Wifi speed test when near the extender is about 400-450 Mbps download & 300-400 Mbps upload which is not bad at all since our plan is 500 Mbps. Moving one room away brings the speed down to about 300-350 Mbps. But the main bedroom which is further away only sees speeds between 50-100 Mbps.

Can I use a TP-Link RE650 and connect that to the Actiontec extender? How can I improve the connection speed in the main bedroom?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Would a TP-Link RE650 extender be useful in my current setup?
2023-07-25 17:09:17

@jv1001,

So you actually have a pretty unique setup, as I have never really seen an ISP use MoCa for a comparatively simple use.

Your Actiontec is a MoCa powered extender, which is essentially a protocol that allows for the transmission and conversion of ethernet signals over a coaxial cable. If your gateway or extender is not MoCa compatible- adapters can be purchased, much like with powerline networks.

The Actiontec should be operating as an Access Point because it has been provided a wired connection, but the interface should indicate this for sure. As an AP, you should have no problem using conventional methods to extend the network, such as REs or Switches.

Lastly, depending on how your setup is wired and your apartment, you may be able to look into purchasing another MoCa adapter for the last bedroom. If the coaxial is connected into your circuit of cables through the apartment, you can latch onto the signal in any room with a MoCa adapter/extender such as the one you are using. I would get in contact with your ISP to see what they would recommend, as they may have something that they would recommend for their setup.

For minimal setup, the RE can be used, but you may see a drop in speed for your devices if they decide to connect to the RE rather than the Actiontec extender.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 281

Replies: 1

Related Articles