Deco M9 Plus - All clients appear to connect to main unit only - Are stats incorrect?

Deco M9 Plus - All clients appear to connect to main unit only - Are stats incorrect?

2023-08-17 20:51:54
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Problem Statement: All my devices (computers, TVs, game consoles, IoT devices, cameras, etc) appear to be connecting to the main Deco only (according to the Deco stats - which i think is incorrect). My connectivity even for static (don't ever move) devices like TVs, smart speakers, cameras is intermittent. 

My Configuration:

I have 3 Deco M9 Plus devices, with the main one (Kitchen) ethernet connected (Ops Mode = WiFi Router) to my service providers ethernet port (Verizon Optical Network Terminal). I use the Deco as my router instead of Verizon providing me theirs. Speed is 1 Gig - test results by the Deco show about 800-900 Megs at times. Wireless connection tests are often 300-400 Megs depending on distance. 

My 2 other M9s are placed about 50 feet away from the main unit, so total of about 100 foot distance between all 3 with typical in home obstacles like walls and furniture. 

I also have an M5 i placed in my basement which is ethernet backhauled from the main unit. One smart TV is ethernet connected to the M5 to take advantage of the wired option. 

My Question: Why does my Deco app insist on telling me clients are ONLY connected to the main unit, showing ZERO clients connected to the two M9s and one M5? Are the stats just wrong? How to i "force" clients to connect to a specific Deco unit? I've already turned off Beamforming and Fast Roaming to test the difference - does nothing. I've also set certain devices as "high priority" but that doesn't seem to change anything either. 

Attaching a screenshot of the stats, which i think are actually BS. Asking TP link to chime in here as I'm trusting their product less now. 

Fun fact - when i unplugged the Deco M9 in my Den, the smart speaker briefly cut out making me believe it was actually connected to that unit and not the main one in the Kitchen.

So, anyone has similar issues, been able to resolve the "forced client connection" or belive the Deco stats are false?

Thanks

Deco Stats

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus - All clients appear to connect to main unit only - Are stats incorrect?
2023-08-18 03:00:50

@He-Man 

Hi, thanks a lot for your feedback.

I think the issue might be due to the current firmware version of your Deco M9 Plus, like an old version-1.2.12.

The latest firmware for Deco M9 plus now is 1.6.1 and if possible, it is suggested to refer to this link to manually update the firmware to the latest version first:

Deco M9 Plus(US)_V2_1.6.1 Build 20230403

How to Update the Firmware of Deco (Method 3)

Thank you very much.

best regards.

Options
Re:Deco M9 Plus - All clients appear to connect to main unit only - Are stats incorrect?
2023-08-21 21:23:48

@David-TP 

thanks for the advice on the firmware version. I will take a look at the instructions and give it a try.

i'm curious why the deco tells me it is up to date when it is way out of date?

Options
2023-08-22 18:52:53
Do i need to manually update each Deco M9 Plus individually? What a pain in the A$$ for a product that appears to have already been way outdated when I bought it. Ugh. So each one, and via Ethernet seems to be recommended.
Options
2023-09-13 19:38:55

@He-Man 

Im also facing the same issue, all my devices are connecting only to my main deco and not to other deco units, tried deleting and creating the network, but no luck..

Im using latest firmware.

Hope TP Link can address this issue.

Options
2023-09-15 14:00:28

@arjun96 I was finally able to resolve this. 

It required the pain in the a$$ task of running Ethernet directly to my main deco and it had to be from a Mac or Windows machine. Chromebook users are out of luck. My main deco was about 25 feet from my mac desktop and had to run a temporary ethernet cable to go through this process. Good thing i had a spare 100 foot cable not yet in use (future project). 

I actually got on live chat with an agent to help me troubleshoot as i could not get the scan utility to work correctly on a macbook pro (which turned out was due to VPN settings/restrictions that i could not disable as it's a work computer). 

So on my mac desktop, once ethernet connected to the Deco main, I downloaded and ran the following utility tool successfully --> Deco M9 Plus_2.0_upgrade_tool_v1.2.0_macOS

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/deco-m9-plus/v2.8/

Once you run that utility, the latest firmware gets downloaded and updates the Deco M9 Plus main and all other connected M9s...no need to connect those to ethernet. The Main deco pushes the update to all the others. 

After the update, all my stats were showing up for each Deco M9 correctly. 

Options
2023-09-17 20:06:47

@He-Man 

I've had the same issue with my M9 Plus, stats show no clients connected to it. I've upgraded it to the latest firmware, which didn't change the stats. I've rebooted the entire system and still no clients are shown connected to the M9.

My configuration: 3 X20s (one is the primary device connected by ethernet to the AT&T router), 2 M5s, and 1 M9 Plus.

When the M9 Plus was my main device it had clients connected. I then added the 2 X20s and made one of them my main device.

Anyone have any idea why the M9 Plus has this issue?

Options
2023-11-18 19:02:13

@macnicol 

Hi. Got the same issue but not same luck. 

4 Deco m9. All v2.8

2 successfully updated to Fw 1.6.2. Two others, including the main, remain at 1.2.12 and the app keeps claiming it is up to date. 

Manual update via web interface impossible since m9 has none.

Update via the utility is not working. I keep seeing the message that main deco is not found, no matter if I connect from one pc or another, wired -  directly or via switches, or wireless. 

Might this have anything to do with the fact that this utility, according to its file name, seems to target v2.0 not v2.8? 

And again, why is the app insisting on 1.2.12 being up to date, when it is clear this is incorrect as 2 out of 4 of my units, did update to 1.6.2?

Any help from anyone?

Thanks a lot. 

Options