EasyMesh Instability

EasyMesh Instability
EasyMesh Instability
2023-09-18 13:00:05 - last edited 2023-12-23 01:03:31
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 Build 20230219

Hi everyone,

I recently set up my TPLink Archer AX21 as a main router, with an identical AX21 set up as a satellite router. The satellite router was able to be configured relatively easily as a satellite router/access point, however I have been experiencing frequent dropouts and crippled link speeds since the main router and access point are separated by a separate floor.

To try and correct this, I connected the router and access point with a Cat6 Ethernet cable from the Router's LAN to the Access point's WAN port. This worked great for about 5 minutes until I completely lost Internet connection across my whole system, and had to disconnect the Ethernet cable/cycle power to correct this.

To me, this seems like a firmware issue or a bug... Any thoughts? I'm hoping to get this resolved before my return window for the device closes, as I currently plan on returning/re-evaluating my device selection if I cannot get this resolved.

Options
5 Reply
Re:EasyMesh Instability
2023-09-21 00:12:06

@user11223344,

So first off, the Archer AX21 does not test support wired backhauls for EasyMesh setups. After wiring your satellite node, it is likely that it is now waiting to be setup and moved to AP Mode. Connecting them with a cable likely disabled the EasyMesh functionality. You can use them in this configuration, however you cannot use a wired backhaul with the AX21 yet. 

As is the case with our Deco Mesh, a floor between nodes will cause problems with a wireless backhaul due to the interference and distance. If you are only looking to get your connection to the location of the satellite router, try setting the second router up on the floor below - it is generally recommended that you place your network device halfway between the area in which you would like to extend your network to and your main router.

Options
2023-09-21 01:24:17 - last edited 2023-12-23 01:03:31

@Riley_S  what is the timeline on Ethernet back hauling being supported by OneMesh?

Options
2023-09-21 16:28:54

@user11223344 ,

The ethernet backhaul feature is rolling out separately and we are just now beginning to see models see the firmware updates - however, it is a slow rollout. Keep an eye out for additional information coming over the next month or two as we are beginning to see compatibility lists and instructions on how the ethernet backhaul works.

Also, FYI, most if not all OneMesh devices will be updated to support EasyMesh - which is an industry-wide standard. The two provide similar features; However, EasyMesh already supports Ethernet Backhauls and simply needs to be added via an update.

Options
2023-12-23 01:03:20

@Riley_S 

Poking this thread again. What is the timeline looking like for the rollout?

Issues persist as last discussed, no firmware update available.

Options
2023-12-27 17:14:51

@user1122334,

I do not believe that I have an update to give for your model, unfortunately - However, there was an added 'EasyMesh feature' listed in the last update's patch notes. Due to the holiday season, I will have to reach out to get extra information on that patch note or on the timeline in the new year.

You should consider setting up your satellite in AP Mode. At a technical level, EasyMesh is a more powerful system of communication for your router and access points. While there are features that are missing when using the second node as an AP, using the same wireless credentials will still likely provide a similar end experience. This would likely be ideal to using the wireless configuration which is causing drops.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 819

Replies: 5

Related Articles