Connection to home network via LAN ports does not work

2023-11-16 07:58:27
Tags: #LAN ports
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I tried to replace ny old Techicolor  router bu this ome. All my home is wired and WiFI is needed for mobile devices.

THe router is access point to ISP.

The topology is that router lan port is connceted to  eternet switch WAN and all te home is cvonnected to the LAN ports of this switch.

All works with Techiclor router I have. However once replaced by ToLnk Archer - I can only access internet  if using wifi and all wired devices   cannoct connect ethernet.

Looks tahthere is lnk between Router LAN port   and switch WAN port.

Any idea what can be the problem ?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Connection to home network via LAN ports does not work
2023-11-19 00:36:17

@igrok12 

What is the Technicolor 'Router' model? I though they only made Modem's and Modem/Routers?

What I suspect you did was feed the wall outlet into teh TP-Link router but that will not work if it is the raw cable signal from the ISP.

I also suspect you never turned OFF the Technicolor and that is why the Wireless connects, it is connecting to the Technicolor.

What you need to do, and it might be your ISP that has to do this is to set the Technicolor to BRIDGE moide and it then could be connected to the router and you'd use the router. Also, on the Technicolor the Wifi must be disabled if BRIDGE mode does not disable it.

Options
2023-11-20 06:01:26

@IrvSp 

Thanks for reply. Nothing to do with Technicolor. It is replaced by this tplink AX1800 modem/router.Tplink WAN is connected to ISP dil.No other equipment.

Home topology is

ISP--->AX1800---dumb ethernet switch--end device(computers,tv,etc)

Options
2023-11-20 11:06:39

@igrok12 

I have Spectrum too... and I can NOT feed my wall outlet (ISP) directly to my ROUTER.. I need a Spectrum MODEM to create the required INPUT to my router.

There are MODEM/ROUTERS, but if this is what you got, https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax1800/ it is ROUTER ONLY,

You can keep the Technicolor and have it put into BRIDGE mode, where it operates as a MODEM ONLY, or get from Spectrum a MODEM.

There are the MODEM/ROUTERS that Spectrum will provide, list is at www$spectrum$net/support/internet/one-piece-modem-router-combo (replace the '$' with a '.' as non-TP-Link URL's are not allowed here) and I suspect your have ONE of the Technicolor's on that page.

Removing a Modem/Router, like the Technicolor requires either a Modem/Router replacement (and see the Spectrum link for allowed ones because if you get something else they might not allow connection, and if you have the 1GB service, like I do, I don't think they allow ANY) to have the proper INPUT to the WAN port on a Router.

If in doubt, I suggest you call Spectrum, and if you have their home phone server, dial 611.

Now reasing what you posted again, it is not at all clear WHAT you have coming out of your wall or what Technicolor device you had?

Also you say you have all devices working on Wifi, that is connecting to the Internet (web sites)? Is this correct? Only the LAN Ethernet ports don't work? Is this correct?

That would indicate the SWITCH might be a problem.

Can you bypass the switch and test? Connect a computer directly to the router?

To be clear, on an Wireless device, you have full internet access? Only devices connected to the switch does not? If so, either the LAN port between the Switch could be faulty or the Switch is not recognizing the router (can you reset it).

Options
2023-11-20 11:16:11

@IrvSp 

As i wrote befire. TpLink AX1800 replaces modem. It is directly conncted to ISP..via ethernet over fiber.  ISP connection ok.i can  access internet if using wifi access from my computer to TpLimk..If i use lan connection, than i cannot accsess.

Options
2023-11-20 11:38:34

@igrok12 

OK, so what you had was probably a Technicolor ROUTER, not a modem (they make both) and if you know the model number, it would have helped.

If it was a router, somewhere is a modem. Live in an Apartment building some are wired so he Wall is an WAN connection, not a raw ISP one.

So I suggest as a TEST disconnect the switch from the TP-Link router and go directly to the wall outlet. Does that work for the LAN devices?

If it does, could be a bad LAN port on the router. Try other LAN ports.

If you look at the DEVICES connected on the GUI for the router, is the Switch even seen?

Options
2023-11-22 10:01:25

@IrvSp 

what i had is Technicolor Modem/ROUTER (Technicolor DGA2232)   -meaning 2 functionalities sin one box,   actually same functionality as this TpLink AX1800, except Technicolor box  has fiber SFP on its WAN side, while TpLink has ethernet, but I have SFP-2-Ethernet    box   to convert optical signal to 1GE  to  . All this works.

Tried all LAN ports, same result.

I am looking for following info : 

-  Is there any configuration that blocks/fliters  LAN ports  ?

-  Is there any configuration to configure/enable/disable  autonegotiation on LAN?

- Are there any RMN counters on LAN ports taht I can inspect to see if there any errors ,etc?

Options
2023-11-22 13:16:33

@igrok12 

igrok12 wrote

@IrvSp 

what i had is Technicolor Modem/ROUTER (Technicolor DGA2232)   -meaning 2 functionalities sin one box,   actually same functionality as this TpLink AX1800, except Technicolor box  has fiber SFP on its WAN side, while TpLink has ethernet, but I have SFP-2-Ethernet    box   to convert optical signal to 1GE  to  . All this works.

Tried all LAN ports, same result.

I am looking for following info : 

-  Is there any configuration that blocks/fliters  LAN ports  ?

-  Is there any configuration to configure/enable/disable  autonegotiation on LAN?

- Are there any RMN counters on LAN ports taht I can inspect to see if there any errors ,etc?

Sorry, but I am getting confused... I figured the Technicolor was a modem/router. You replaced with the TP-Link. That is what you first said.

Then, your house is wired, so you run, like you did I assume on the Technicolor, one LAN port Ethernet cable to the home wall or a switch directly to feed the house LAN.

============

The topology is that router lan port is connceted to  eternet switch WAN and all te home is cvonnected to the LAN ports of this switch.

All works with Techiclor router I have. However once replaced by ToLnk Archer - I can only access internet  if using wifi and all wired devices   cannoct connect ethernet.

=============

Then

==============

plink WAN is connected to ISP dil.No other equipment.

Home topology is

ISP--->AX1800---dumb ethernet switch--end device(computers,tv,etc)

==============

SInce you can get Internet access on the AX1800 I can think of only one of two possibilities? Open on a browser the Router GUI.

1. You have a DEFECTIVE ROUTER... check the LOG in the GUI (Advanced -> System -> System Log, and see if there is any indication of a problem there.
  2. You have set the Router to Access Point vs.Regular Router Mode (Advanced -> System -> Operation mode.

While in the GUI, check connected devices and do you see the cable or the switch listed? If it is showing, the problem is in the switch not seeing the router.

If all is correct, contact TP-Link Support I guess? Could be a faulty router to try to exchange it where you bought it.

Options