TL-SG108E and Eero 6+ to setup VLANs

2023-12-09 21:17:45
Model: TL-SG108  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20230218 Rel.50633

Greetings, I am struggling with a project of segmenting my church's Eero network with a goal of placing multiple PoE cameras and a small VoIP system on separate VLANs. I purchased a smart switch (TP-Link TL-SG108E) to accomplish this. I generally can manage basic networking tasks (as a volunteer at my church), but diving into the world of smart switches and VLANs is new territory for me. I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

My hope is to keep the existing network functioning as well as it is now (or better!) by partitioning selected devices into logical groups. If possible, I would like the admin use of the network to continue on the original subnet... 10.0.0.x - but have the smart switch carve out two VLANs. One will be used by PoE cameras and the other for a small VoIP phone network.

I enabled VLANs on the switch using the switch's interface and then created the two desired VLANs, as shown below. I'm still a little uncertain about the tagged/untagged option.

2e6d6b9107204b0a818c0dbe22792aee

Within the iOS Eero app, I went to the ISP settings and toggled on "Uplink VLAN". I gave it the ID of 10 to correspond with the VLAN ID that I created for the camera VLAN within the TL-Link switch. However, it doesn't appear that I can create more than one VLAN in the Eero app - i.e., no apparent option to create VLAN ID 20.

b0a67de1982f42daa4dd37cd7eb2b37d

Am I missing something or going about this the wrong way? Also, within the the TP-Link switch, I can't see where I am allowed to designate specific IP address ranges for the two VLANs I would like to setup. I was planning to use 10.0.1.x for the cameras and 192.168.1.x for the VoIP devices. Lastly (for now), I read in one online forum that I would have to set the Eero to bridge mode. However, I think that would require I install another router on the network to provide DHCP and other network services, correct?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 629

Replies: 0

Related Articles