Possible to use Deco M9 Plus for local-only "offline" network?

2024-01-23 10:50:04
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm considering buying a set of Deco M9 Plus for a local network that will not be connected to WAN / Internet. I get that I might need to have online connection while setting up the mesh network but will it still work "offline" when deployed, while still connected to local network through ethernet? It will be used to control local devices connected through both switches and ethernet cables as well as iPads and laptops connected over wifi (via the M9 units).

This forum post has me concerned that it might not be possible to have the network "offline".

The image attached below is my plan for my future network. (My current solution is a basic home router in the middle that doesn't quite reach everywhere.

498c422481504f27af08965636482789

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

Thank You

- Patrik

Options
2 Reply
Re:Possible to use Deco M9 Plus for local-only "offline" network?
2024-01-24 06:57:46

@PatLocal 

Hi, welcome to the community.

Could you please help me confirm the following two questions:

7fb36bc502994f0d997d96e40892237f

Since you haven't bought Deco I noticed you added "Access Point mode", so I think maybe later you also plan to set Deco into Access Point mode.

Deco could still provide a local network when it is "offline", but it is not ideal.

Due to the constant lack of internet sources, I think Omada Access Point might be a better choice than Deco,

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada/wifi/

Omada Mesh Devices

Thank you very much and best regards.

Options
Re:Possible to use Deco M9 Plus for local-only "offline" network?
2024-01-24 07:19:43

@David-TP 

Thank you for your response.

All the switches in the topology are simple unmanaged switches.

The "basic home router" that i mentioned is only my current setup, and would not be a part of the new mesh system.

Could you expand on how it would not be ideal for the Deco system to be without an internet connection during operation?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 146

Replies: 2

Related Articles