BE75 : Wired Backhaul Issues

2024-07-14 22:58:20 - last edited 2024-07-14 23:13:16
Model: Deco BE85  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.05 Build 20240327 Rel. 69426

In the drop down there was no "BE75" options. Not even BE17000 either. I picked "BE85" as during the setup in iOS Deco app, it grouped BE85/75 together.

Here are my "real" model details

BE75 (2 Pack Kit)

Hardware Version: 1.6

Firmware Version: 1.05 Build 20240327 Rel. 69426

Router Details:

I am currently using a miniPC with Untangle (UTM) installed (It has four 1 gig ports). (I have a Firewalla Gold Pro order and on route.) The router provides DHCP, web filters, bandwidth control, etc etc.

Issue:

I am trying to get wired backhaul to work.

Old Setup:

Fiber ONT with Ethernet cable to router (Port WAN).

Router (Port 1 - 1 gig port) with Ethernet cable to Netgear Orbi1

Router (Port 4 - 1 gig port) with Ethernet cable to Netgear Orbi2

The Orbi system was in Access Point mode. This worked great! However, it was a WiFi 5 based system. It was time to upgrade.

New Setup with Deco BE75 2-Pack:

Router (Port 1 - 1 gig port) with Ethernet cable to Deco1 (10 gig port) (Deco1 setup as the Main)

Router (Port 4 - 1 gig port) with Ethernet cable to Deco2 (10 gig port)

The Deco BE75 system is in Access Point mode. Both Decos are connected to the same router.

Deco2 would show yellow to red briefly and then green. However, Deco2 does not show up on the iOS app as connected. With that being said, I can connect devices to Deco2 via Ethernet and they connect and operate as expected. However, I notice after a few hours Deco2 turns red.

(As per the community (https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/612724?replyId=1280488), this seems to be due to the fact that every few hours the Deco system, even though connected via Ethernet , still tries to connect wirelessly and hence creates a loop. This ultimately breaks things. Pure guess/speculation.)

If I connect Deco2 (10 gig port) via Ethernet directly to one of the Deco1's 2.5 gig ports, Deco2 shows up in the iOS app as connected. Remember the Deco1's 10 gig port is connected to the router. Thus the work around Setup ...

Work Around Setup:

Router (Port 1 - 1 gig port) with Ethernet cable to Deco1 (10 gig port) (Deco1 setup as the Main)

Deco1 (Port 2 - 2.5 gig port) with Ethernet cable to Deco2 (10 gig port)

This work around setup also works as expected.

One of the reasons why I went with the BE75 was because I was under the assumption that in Access Point mode, I could connect both units directly to my router. With my Firewalla Pro having two 10 gig ports I was hoping I could then have 10 gig backhaul between Deco1 and Deco2 with the intent of both Deco BE75 units being connected directly to the router. If I have to daisy chain the Decos, I lose the 10 gig backhaul between the Decos. I could have gone with the BE85 (or 95) series that has multiple 10 gig ports; however, the cost went up considerably. I thought the BE75 was the perfect fit.

The community seemed to suggest that support could give me a firmware that would keep the Deco systems in wired backhaul mode.  I found this topic where TP-LINK created a custom image/firmware with the fix:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/612724

My Netgear Orbi system did not have an issue as old as it was. Some folks in the above thread did reference that they purchased a switch. Seriously, I have to spend more money? Why would I do that when there seems to be a software/firmware fix.

May I be sent this fix for the BE75 please (https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/612724?replyId=1340292)?

(On the plus side ... love the improved speeds and covereage!)

Options
2 Reply
Re:BE75 : Wired Backhaul Issues
2024-07-15 09:43:30 - last edited 2024-07-15 10:14:20

@DecoBE75 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Did you encounter the same problem when the Deco BE75s were connected to either the mini PC with Untangle (UTM)  or Firewalla Gold Pro?

When Deco#2 turned red after a few hours, would a power restart of this Deco temporarily restore the connection?

In the meantime, I'd like to follow up on your case so that I can consult the senior engineer for further assistance. Please check whether you could receive my email later.

(I noticed there was already an open support ticket so I have forwarded it to the senior engineer already. Please check the email for more suggestions.)

Best regards.

Options
Re:BE75 : Wired Backhaul Issues
2024-07-15 20:45:04

@David-TP 

Yes, a power restart would restore the connection.

Sure, I'll work through the support ticket.

Options