Deco M5 backhaul over MOCA 2.5

3 weeks ago
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I tried to search this topic, but came up with few answers.  I'm no expert in networking, but I'm learning.  I'm trying to connect my Deco units over MOCA backaul using coax cables. 

My Verizon router G3100 is connected vial ethernet to the main Deco (AP mode), it's also connected to a E3200 extender via coax on the other side of the house.  Speeds over coax on the extender are very fast, almost 1 gbps.  That extender is connected to another Deco (AP mode) via ethernet. 

I have tried to set up the Decos to have a wired backhaul by connecting them together via ethernet, and then moving the far Deco to connect to the E3200 extender.  It fails the wired backhaul at first, and then establishes a wireless backhaul connection, which isn't prefered.  My wireless speed is lucky to hit 100 mbps using the far Deco.  I feel like I can disconnect that Deco from the extender, and the speed won't be affected.

I get the feeling my backhaul connection doesn't work over MOCA, and the Deco units have to be directly connected to each other via ethernet.  I probably could run ethernet lines, but I thought the existing coax would be a good enough backbone.  Am I doing something wrong?  I read something about the IEEE 1905 protocol maybe not being recognized over MOCA.

Are there mesh systems that work over MOCA, and specifically the E3200 extender?   

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 backhaul over MOCA 2.5
3 weeks ago

@Tommysmallss 

You wrote that you tried to set up the Decos to have a wired backhaul by connecting them together via ethernet.  Did that work?

I suggest trying by connecting them together to the G3100.  Maybe the obstacle is the G3100, not the MOCA.

I would also try connecting the main Deco to the E3200, to verify it can access Internet via MOCA.

Options
2 weeks ago

@yves_b 

I actually think these M5 units cannot access the network through MOCA, as I have yet to see it.  But they will work if you connect them directly to each other via ethernet, not through MOCA.  I'm too lazy to run ethernet lines through the attic. 

I may just take out the M5s and use the Verizon equipment for the WiFi, as my backhaul speed is phenomenal.  I've been hesitating because I have to basically reconnect every device in the house. I know there's some more advanced TP link systems that will work over MOCA.  

Options
2 weeks ago

@Tommysmallss 

If you want to test, you could simply move the Deco units, no need to deploy more lines.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 160

Replies: 3

Related Articles