Bad Download Speeds (TL-WPA4530)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-10 02:29:51
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 1.0.3 Build 160530 Rel.61871n

ISP : TIme Warner Cable (5 U/50 D plan)

Model: TL-WPA4530 Kit (why was this not listed?)

Hardware Version: TL-WPA4530 v1 00000000

I've tried reading around about other peoples issues with other models to find an answer but I've had no luck. I've had some problems getting this device to work properly, I finally got it to a point where everything is working except the download speeds are awful over wired. Originally just connecting the device, keeping it paired and retaining a connection was also an issue for me but setting the device to a static IP fixed all of that. That included both wired and wireless too but I believe I have fixed that for the most part except for one device.

My goal/reason to purchase: I bought a 2nd Xbox One to put downstairs in the living room and I have it next to my smart TV. My TV wireless connection worked fine but I thought this would improve it even more considering I could wire the connection. I also loved the fact that it offers it's own guest network which I utilized. I hate the "web browser login" type guest network Linksys uses, plus it always shows as unsecured. This adapter solved that problem so I'm really happy about that. But the real issue is the wireless on the Xbox One was horrible so I bought this device to fix that problem primarily, guest network issue secondly. I have them both plugged into the ethernet ports. My upload speed is exactly where it should be, but download speed is only like 3-10 MB with occasional spikes. In addition, the other problem is the speed is inconsistent and jumps all over the place. According to the PC utility, I should have a pretty steady connection up to around 70 MB so the powerline is working correctly but whether I do wired or wireless, the Xbox One download speed is the same. I've never had any problems with any of my devices in my house thus far and all have always been at the max speeds I can get with my service plan. I feel like a setting somewhere is hindering or blocking the speed but I tried reading through the different settings on my router and turning things on and off and nothing has made a difference. Firmware I updated on the adapter, too. Is some kind of firewall setting blocking it? Is the speed on the PC utility not accurate? I have to be missing something here.

Could anyone point me in any general direction on what to look for? I'm starting to really regret this purchase. :-(
Options
1 Reply
Re:Bad Download Speeds (TL-WPA4530)
2016-12-12 01:09:09
So after thinking about it some more, I tried not using the pass-through outlet feature on the adapter connected to the router with the surge protector. I used a different outlet 8 feet away on the same wall with nothing else plugged in. Turns out it really improved speeds. Now the start-up sheet that comes with the product actually has a picture showing a surge protector being used in the pass-through outlet with a "smiley" face showing correct usage. The receiver device has always been plugged into it's own outlet, however. But if it can really affect it that much, shouldn't a note be made about it? At the very most I can't imagine putting anything more than a single lamp or something into it. I trusted the picture and put a surge protector into it thinking it wouldn't be such an issue. But then I also remember reading don't put it in an outlet near huge power drawing items like a fridge or AC/heater units and such but I guess it also includes smaller devices as well. To other readers, I'd ignore that picture and only put something simple plugged in.

Anyway, speeds do seem to jump around a bit still. I still wonder if there are any other settings that could hinder performance I should be aware about?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 736

Replies: 1