WiFi setup when not using encryption or broadcasting SSID

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-20 20:51:19
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I run my WiFi open(no password), but use MAC address authentication and do not broadcast mySSID. The Kasa app requires one of thethree types of encryption. The TP-Link supportsite offers a firmware upgrade that is supposed to fix this if you enable SSIDbroadcast during the provisioning process and then turn it off after the unithas associated with the WiFI. I couldnot make this work and had to set up a second SSID on my AP the uses WPA in orderto get it set up and keep it on the network. You can only run the Kasa app on iOS (iPhone) or Android (phone oetablet w/GPS), but the firmware upgrade is a Windows based program that flashesthe unit, so you need a Windows system connected to your WiFi in order to applythe updates. I found no mention of thisin the support article. I used an Androidtablet to provision the HS100s and discovered that they want to record yourlocation with the unit profile and since my Tablet does not have GPS, I have tolook up my Lat. & Long. in order to finish the setup.

This is a nice piece of hardware, but the firmware and provisioningsoftware were implemented with too many assumptions about the operationalenvironment. I suspect this may causesome folks to give up on it before they get it set up.
Options
1 Reply
Re:WiFi setup when not using encryption or broadcasting SSID
2017-01-05 09:38:17
Hi,

I don't have any answer to your question but share the same concern. My SSID is hidden and the Kasa App cannot see the hidden SSID. The Kasa App does not allow me to enter the name of the hidden SSID either or I couldn't figure out how to select the hidden SSID. I think TPLink should allow hidden SSID in the future.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 976

Replies: 1