WDR 4300 use as base for repeater

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-30 16:15:51
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a WDR 4300 V1 that works fine and had read article on using as WIFI repeater. Using my old NETgear router as repeater I can find setup in menu for netgear but none in WDR 4300 to serve as base unit. Is the WDR 4300 capable of serving as base unit for another router? When I looked in manual for TP-Link WDR 4300 it does not discuss repeater.

If not possible, I'd be interested to get a link to instructions for ethernet wiring the NetGear upstairs to the TPLink as a base unit downstairs to extend the range.

thanks.
Options
1 Reply
Re:WDR 4300 use as base for repeater
2016-12-31 02:39:57
What do you mean with "base unit"? If your Netgear provides a repeater mode, just connect it to the TP-Link's WiFi network by specifying the SSID of the WDR4300 in the Netgear's input field for the repeater to connect to. That's all. No setup necessary on the TP-Link.

However, wiring is preferable over repeater mode if possible. Since a repeater uses the same WiFi channel, repeating will reduce overall bandwidth by ~50%.

To connect one device as a pure access point (rather than a router), just put a cable between the two LANs (e.g. connect the LAN of the TP-Link with LAN of the Netgear). Make sure you disable the DHCP server on one of the devices (but not on both). Since LAN is bridged with WiFi, you get an AP this way, although it's a bit of overkill to abuse a router as a dumb AP.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1732

Replies: 1