Parental Control doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Parental Control doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:Parental Control doesn't work
2017-07-03 15:13:17
The Internet Access Time option on the setup page, asks you to select a time (Green Time) that your Restriction Policy (Black and White list) takes affect, so no Restriction on White Time, means Internet Access.

If the White List has www.tp-link.com, that means the devices only can access to www.tp-link.com. But if there is no content in the White List, that means no website is allowed, so NO internet access.

We can say: [COLOR=#ff0000]White Time = Internet Access, Green Time with White List (no content) = NO Internet Access
Options
2017-07-04 22:53:25
Actually it does not. It does say Internet Access Time. Not internet restriction time. Access vs restriction. One word means " obtain, examine, or retrieve" the other means "a restrictive condition or regulation; limitation." So if something is called access and I'm using that to determine when I want to supply internet access then one logically determines I am providing said access; not restricting it.

The example they use is again, not conducive to the majority of the consumers out there. Shoot, I work in IT and it was still not something I understood. The Black List and White list I understand but those two phrases mean different things in regards to just the basic request by most people, I believe I mentioned this in my OP. Most "normal" users just want to limit their kids to X amount of time on the net. Most do not care to be so granular as to White/Black list sites. Is it a nice feature? Sure. So when TP-Link uses their example, it's confusing. Their showing a time restriction but with 2 White Listed sites. Add that info to the facts I mentioned about color etc, and it becomes confusing.

I support users everyday. They are not the most logical nor computer literate bunch. Therefore instructions need to be clear and concise or all hell breaks loose and I am posting here specifically thinking about that and only that.

TP-Link can easily fix that issue by A) removing the white/black list as needing to even be part of the equation. Just give parents or owners the ability to select times for access or restriction. Nice and simple B) if they are going to use the phrase, Internet Access Time, then the time I select should be for ACCESS. OR C) Change it to Internet Restricted Time(s) D) instead of using a color, use a /// or \\\ pattern in order to "fill in" the boxes for the time(s). This way, it one helps anyone who may be color blind and 2, there's no green means good or go issue. E) make the white/black list options part of the Advanced tab. Technically that is a way more advanced feature again that most people don't care about

All I can say is, I'm not the only one who is feeling this pain. It's here in the official forums and it's all over Google, so something isn't clear.
Options
2017-07-12 09:34:49
we can submit a ticket to TP-LINK support so they will take it more seriously!
Options
Parental Controls not working
2018-02-05 22:18:19
I also have issues setting up Parental Controls with my TP-LINK Archer CR700. It simply doesn't work!

I cannot add or remove devices. When I hit "Save" and refresh the page, the setting is disabled again. I just rebooted. Same issue. What else can I do?

In the attached screenshot, you'll see that the "Add Delete" options are not available/working.

Firmware Version:v1.0.5 Build 20150925 Rel338940
Hardware Version:V1.1

Options
2018-02-26 15:03:53
Archer C1200 v1.0 firmware 1.1.3 Build 20180124 rel.52299 (EU)

1 year not problem with another firmware, i have problem with parental control with the last updete,
with the last update has stopped working

i very unhappy with tp-link,

in the past problems with ramdom restarting, now with parental cotrol.

a big fail buy tp-link

sorry my english
Options
2018-03-16 14:30:18
It does look like that? Open this screen with another web browser. Otherwise, contact tplink support
Options
2018-09-13 06:03:02
Will the parental controls work for streaming devices such as a Roku or Chromecast or gaming devices? I have an Archer C9 v5 that I want to block access of these from 1am to 7am every night, but these don't have "typical" websites that can be whitelisted. I've tried a few different configurations to get it working, but nothing works. That's the biggest issue I have with my router.
Options
The problem with Parental controls
2020-11-05 07:57:49

@Duff TP-Link logic is just a little twisted here.

From parental control you:

- add

- scan

- select the device and click on +

- set the effective time (it's an ambiguous word - they should call it the restricted or blocked time) and colour the times you want restrictions to occur

- type in the device name and description (these have to be unique (i don't understand why the description is mandatory)

- save.

The top bit is mostly intuitive, except maybe the colour.

This next bit isn't. You wouldn't know about it unless you had search the forums or read the manual.

Go down the parental screen:

- turn on content restriction (even though you just want to restrict time and not content)

- click on the whitelist button  (you don't need to enter any words)

- save.

Now joyfully listen to the screaming of blocked kids.

TP link has known this has been an issue for many users for some time, but haven't done anything about it. Strange.

Options
2020-11-05 08:04:23
I agree totally. TP-Link - why don't you sort this out? It really annoys your customers. Duff has told you how.
Options
2020-12-04 09:38:33

@nknarang Same issue, only https://www.worktime.com/employee-monitoring and WhatsApp works. Have you resolved this issue?

Options