TC-W7960 wifi disconnects, wired fine

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-09 14:49:45
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I recently purchased a TC-W7960 modem/wifi router to use with my Xfinity service. I've cut the cable cord and am using a streaming service. Unfortunately that service is sporadically affected since my wireless connection drops randomly. Wired connections don't appear to be affected when the wifi drops. I don't actually lose wifi signal but my internet connection is gone. I'll most often have to disconnect and reconnect to get it back stable again. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't see many wifi options that I could tweak to fix this or any firmware update I could apply to address this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Options
26 Reply
Re:TC-W7960 wifi disconnects, wired fine
2017-01-19 10:58:04
what about the guest network?
try to reset it by login to webGUI-advanced-system tools
Options
2017-02-13 00:48:01
I am in exactly the same situation as OP. Bought TC-W7960 for Xfinity, worked well in the first 3 months, but now wifi drops randomly.
I've figured that wifi usually drops ~10 minutes after I start downloading something large, for example a 3GB game.

QAQ wrote

Tried resetting, no luck.
Options
2017-02-23 09:45:21

TC-W7960 sucker loses password. just got it. I guess TP Linkbelt or whatever the outfit is called here saw me coming on this ordeal. Really

broke it off in me from behind. I was all excited too. I got mad and threw it across the room and it hit the wall and now it won't work at all. Some plastic pieces fell
off but not that much of a mess. I wonder if I damaged it?
Options
2017-02-25 11:12:05
I contacted customer support chat and they suggested changing the 2.4 GHz channel from auto to 1, 6 or 11. It been about 30 minutess, no drops...but let's wait and see.
Options
2017-02-27 01:49:50
just changed my WDR4300 to channel 6. which has the same issue of daily random WiFi outages. Please post if your change has helped.
Options
Same problem here
2017-04-03 09:18:53
I have the same problem. Both modems doing same problem.

1st modem dropping several times a day. TP link kept blaming it on Comcast. Comcast gave me a loaner modem and it NEVER dropped in two weeks. So TP link sent me a new one.
2nd modem...same problem. Tried different channels. Won't work with any stability. After speaking to support again, some Chinese lady was supposed to get someone that can communicate in English to call me back. 6 days later....nothing.

Called Amazon and complained and they refunded my credit card. Even after 4 months of going through this horrible, crap hardware.
Options
2017-12-10 03:18:45
Background Info
I have model TC-W7960 V1
Xfinity Blast speed up to 300 MBS (their fastest available)

Ok I hope I dont sound too negative, but I am being totally fair! Do not buy this product. I have had Xfinity Rep to my house twice, Wifi extremely slow and drops all the time. Wired gets around 120-150MBS on random speed test. WiFi gets between 2-6 MBS Download.
Xfinity troubleshooting - tried resetting it, speed test, unplug it, etc
TP Link Troubleshooting - Change channel (1 6 11) Change mode, and change bandwidth (20 & 40) Problem still keeps happening. This thread lets me know I am not crazy. TP Link says Xfinity needs to do a firmware upgrade
Called Xfinity for firmware upgrade and get transfered back to TP Link (happened several times over several days)
TP Link says call Xfinity again
Xfinity says its not their equipment so they wont do firmware upgrade
TP Link says there is nothing wrong with equipment and Xfinity needs to do firmware upgrade.

Finally I got a replacement from TP link, guess they got tired of me calling. After setting it up I have the same problem and call Xfinity.
Xfinity informs me that they will no longer support this model in 2018 and that i will need to get a new modem anyways.
TP Link - No comment.

Update for New modem: No difference in speed (still sucks) It seems i need a firmware upgrade, but no one is willing to provide it to me. I knew Xfinity had shitty customer service, but damn TP Link you too! I use to sell your products and highly recommended them when managing a best buy store. Highly disapointed with their solutions. I would be satisfied if I received a modem that Xfinity will continue to support and that works from the first time I plug it in. TP Link I am willing to give you the benefit but someone please try to help me resolve this issue!
Options
2017-12-10 23:08:49
Options
Same problem
2017-12-28 13:15:42
Several times a day all wireless devices are unexpectedly dropped and not reconnected, no wired machines are impacted.

I have tried switching channels and configuring the bandwidth to only 20 but nothing seems to impact the problem.

The only thing that appears to fix the issue is resetting the device.
Options
Same - inconsistent wifi, please wait, loading.... 2nd modem from tp-link
2018-01-06 06:52:34
I'm about ready to just pay Spectrum to provide the wifi for $5 a month. It is getting tiresome.... Has anyone found out what is causing these problems? A lot of people seem to be having the same issue...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3759

Replies: 26