TP-LINK Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-LINK Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TP-LINK Questions
TP-LINK Questions
2017-01-17 08:34:49
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I received an Amazn Dot (2nd generation) for Christmas. I was told I could use it to turn the light in my bedroom off and on if I bought a TP-LINK, plugged it into the socket, then plug the lamp cord into that.

I have not purchased the TP-LINK because I have asked several questions on Amazon.com and am getting very conflicting answers. I am hoping to get the answers I need here.

One person said I just need to plug it in and go. Another said I need to register with Kasa and download an app to my smart phone. I do NOT have a smart phone. I have an old 15 year old cordless phone. I was told that since I do not have a smart phone that I cannot use the TP-Link. Yet, Amazon says I can use Alexa to turn lights on and off.

Will someone please set me straight? I have the Amazon Dot, a router (WI-FI), and a commputer. No cell phone with apps. Can I use the TP-LINK or not?

Thank you for any responses.
Options
5 Reply
Re:TP-LINK Questions
2017-01-17 22:50:01
Yes, you need a smart phone to set up the TP Link.

You could purchase a used smart phone or iPod for not much money that would work with this.
Options
2017-01-18 05:56:14
You will need a smart phone to set it up. You could purchase a very inexpensive used phone, or have someone come over and set it up for you.
Options
2017-01-18 07:35:37
If you have a friend or family member with a smartphone you could have them set it up for you and then later control via your amazon dot
Options
2017-01-18 15:23:55
I absolutely do not want a cell phone. I have no need for one. They need to specify that where they are sold that you MUST have a cell phone. I don't know how they can say it works with Alexa if you have to have yet another device.

Thanks for the comments but I will have to pass on getting this TP-Link because I don't have the cell phone and don't know anyone who does that lives close to me.
Options
2017-01-19 06:01:06
I have been doing a lot of research because I refuse to give up and I definitely do not want a cell phone. I did a search for "kasa for desktop" on Google and it directed me to my Alexa skills where it found the app. From there, I was able to install the app on my desktop computer. Now, I can enable the TP-Link which should arrive tomorrow. From there, I went to my tablet and was able to download the KASA app and install it there. So, in the future, if anyone should ask, you can tell them they do NOT need a cell phone to enjoy using TP-Link. The only reason for the cell phone (I think) is so you can control devices when you are away from home, a feature I do not need. I'm glad found a way to activate my TP-Link!! Can't wait until tomorrow!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 724

Replies: 5

Related Articles