2 HS100s not recognized by Alexa

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-23 08:30:25
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Add me to the list of very unsatisfied customers with trying to get Alexa to work with my 2 HS100s. I followed the FAQ to the letter, but not only will Alexa not recognize one of my devices, Device Discovery does not recognize a second HS100, either. I tried rebooting my Echo Dot to no effect.

However the Android app works just fine. Very disappointed :mad:

Regards...Mike
Options
14 Reply
Re:2 HS100s not recognized by Alexa
2017-01-24 01:04:47
So... you have two HS100s. They function as desired from your android app on your phone. Can you be more specific what is or is not happening in the Echo app? This is also on your phone? When you run device discovery what does the Echo say it finds? Does it show Kasa under skills? Do you have any other smart devices? What are the (2) HS100s named? Is your Dot on the same 2.4 GHz network as the HS100s? Does your phone control the HS100s remotely, i.e. when you are not at home?
Options
2017-01-24 10:14:28
I have an Android Tablet, not a phone, and it works fine on that. Discovery fails to find the 2nd HS100, but does find the first one. The Android app sees them both, named 'firetv' and 'Livingroom'. I have no other smart devices (yet). The Dot is on the same network as the HS100s. Alexa can't find the device names in My Devices, or so it reports. I don't have it set up (yet) for remote access because I'm still learning how to use the software.

The tablet is also on 2.4Ghz, so the plugs are communicating correctly, it seems. It would appear the Dot can't find the devices for some reason. I have also attempted to reboot the Dot, and also went into my router (Arris TG1682G) and turned on UPnP. SSDP protocol appears to be unavailable on this router, so I have a feeling this isn't going to work. When I made the change in the router, I also rebooted the Dot (again) and the Smart Plugs, but nothing still works.
Options
2017-01-26 10:05:18
Well I made some progress. After dropping and restarting my network, I then reacquired the 2 switches. Still nada - so I went into the Alexa app, deleted the one plug, then forced Alexa to do a discovery manually. This time it found both switches, but it is still refusing to work with the one for my FireTV (which, ironically enough, is the closer of the two). The Livingroom switch is now working. Now I need to figure out why Alexa can find my one switch, but not the other.
Options
2017-01-31 09:24:14
Well I'm stuck - I can get my living room lights to work, but not the fire TV plug - and it's much closer physically to the router than the living room switch is. I have tried resetting the switch using the button on the top of the plug, then rebooting my network, then the Dot, to no effect at all. In addition, on my last attempt, the Echo dot lost the Firetv plug when in discovery mode (it had found it previously, but now it's gone). I have tried disabling the TP Kasa skill, then reinstalling it and signing back in, again it simply doesn't work. I've also physically unplugged the Firetv Smart plug from the wall and repeated the above. Nada.

The Android app has no issues with finding both plugs, and it appears to work (I haven't tested all the functions yet).

Any ideas? Mike
Options
2017-02-03 03:29:19
Well here's another clue. I went into my router and looked at my Connected Devices. The one HS100 that is working has a name under 'Connected Devices'. However the one for the FireTV just has a MAC address. My bet is that Alexa can't reference a device unless it has an actual name, not just a MAC address (at least that's what the symptoms show). I'm pretty sure you can't have more than one device with the same logical name - so how do i go about fixing this?
Options
2017-02-07 07:57:51
Well thanks to the support folks at TP Link I got my problem resolved. It seems that Alexa doesn't like the use of certain words to define a smart device - evidently it didn't like 'firetv'. When I changed it in Kasa, dropped my network, restarted my Echo Dot and had it do a discovery via the app, it's now working.

Case closed, I guess...Mike
Options
2017-02-08 22:30:41
I named a Smartplug "Cellar" and it did not work with Alexa. I renamed it "Seller" and it works fine. I can see why "tv" would be a problem. Can you name the device fireteevee or fy ar tee vee and see if it works? if you still care.
Options
2017-02-10 00:10:12
It's not that I don't care, it's just that I just got this working and it's kinda a bear to reset everything all over again. Besides, I can see where 'fireteevee' wouldn't work if 'firetv' wouldn't, since they sound so closely alike. 'TeeVee' might not work either, as I agree that might be an issue because it's non-specific. I don't know if anyone at TP is reading this, but I think that this little discovery about how Alexa doesn't like certain words should be added to the FAQ. It would be annoying, for sure, but at least it gives a user a potential avenue to solve an issue where a plug isn't working with Alexa
Options
2017-02-24 00:41:36

MikeAgner wrote

Well thanks to the support folks at TP Link I got my problem resolved. It seems that Alexa doesn't like the use of certain words to define a smart device - evidently it didn't like 'firetv'. When I changed it in Kasa, dropped my network, restarted my Echo Dot and had it do a discovery via the app, it's now working.

Case closed, I guess...Mike

Hi Mike,
I'm having the same problem with discovering the H100 in Amazon Alexa app. Could you specify what you mean by saying 'dropped my network'?
I'll really appreciate your help :)
Options
2017-02-24 20:46:24
Shut off the power to your router, wait about 5 seconds, then power it back up. Evidently the keywords that Alexa recognizes are very much a hit or miss kind of thing; I can't find anywhere where this is documented. Unfortunately Alexa customer support was useless. Mike
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1655

Replies: 14