Signaless in Seattle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Signaless in Seattle

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
23 Reply
Re:Signaless in Seattle
2017-03-01 11:28:21
Seems i found a US vendor http://www.memorydepot.com/detail/EAP110-Outdoor.html So lets so i go this route, I can still get the 1-2foot (1 metre) and hook up the antenna i already have and mounted. How does the EAP-110 retrieve the inbound connection through the POE (i assume).

Unfortunately we're a Wi-Max provider out here and in the attic is where they have their PoE the runs from the dish to our router. I would have to intercept that line (ethernet) at some point in the attic. What would be the best way? a small switch? Some other cool splinter POE or something?
Options
2017-03-01 20:02:02

simplegreen wrote

Seems i found a US vendor http://www.memorydepot.com/detail/EAP110-Outdoor.html So lets so i go this route, I can still get the 1-2foot (1 metre) and hook up the antenna i already have and mounted. How does the EAP-110 retrieve the inbound connection through the POE (i assume).

Connection is through data cable, PoE just means that power is supplied over the same cable. See page 6 of the Installation Guide for schematics (ignore that the IG is for the EU model, it's still the same for the US model):

http://static.tp-link.com/EAP110-Outdoor(EU)_V1_IG_1479275525987w.pdf

More information about the EAP110-Outdoor in english language can be found here:

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-5693_EAP110-Outdoor.html

Unfortunately we're a Wi-Max provider out here and in the attic is where they have their PoE the runs from the dish to our router. I would have to intercept that line (ethernet) at some point in the attic. What would be the best way? a small switch? Some other cool splinter POE or something?

You need to connect the EAP to your WiMAX router (LAN), not to the dish antenna. Suitable cable including a ground wire is the ToughCable from UBNT:

https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/toughcable/
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-03-03 14:23:59
To hard for me........
Options
2017-03-06 03:02:24
ok pulled the trigger bought the EAP110-Outdoor and a 3ft cable (more for the PoE and power issue than anything. Gonna combine the 15dbi antenna and hope i get better results. I assume im still keeping said antenna at a 45 degree angle on the roof?
Options
2017-03-06 17:26:53

simplegreen wrote

Gonna combine the 15dbi antenna and hope i get better results.

I would recommend to use the standard 2x2 MIMO antennas of EAP110-Outdoor. They perfectly fit to the WiFi chip of the device and cover a large area. No hassle with attenuation due to cables, connectors etc. Just mount the EAP-Outdoor somewhere on the mast or even a wall at least 2.40 meters / 7.8 feet high over ground.

You should not use a 15dBi external antenna, b/c if cable loss is <= 5dBi you will achieve an antenna gain of 10dBi, which is 10 times the maximum allowed radiation and this could be troublesome. If cable loss is near to 10dBi, the 15dBi antenna will not perform any better, but you lose MIMO (would need two antennas mounted in correct distance to each other). If cable loss is > 10dBi, the antenna will even give worser results than the standard ones. Thus, with a 15dBi external antenna you will always have disadvantages no matter how it actually performs.

However, you could use the 15dBi antenna as a mounting pole for the EAP. :)
Options
2017-03-06 21:20:54

R1D2 wrote

I would recommend to use the standard 2x2 MIMO antennas of EAP110-Outdoor. They perfectly fit to the WiFi chip of the device and cover a large area. No hassle with attenuation due to cables, connectors etc. Just mount the EAP-Outdoor somewhere on the mast or even a wall at least 2.40 meters / 7.8 feet high over ground.

You should not use a 15dBi external antenna, b/c if cable loss is <= 5dBi you will achieve an antenna gain of 10dBi, which is 10 times the maximum allowed radiation and this could be troublesome. If cable loss is near to 10dBi, the 15dBi antenna will not perform any better, but you lose MIMO (would need two antennas mounted in correct distance to each other). If cable loss is > 10dBi, the antenna will even give worser results than the standard ones. Thus, with a 15dBi external antenna you will always have disadvantages no matter how it actually performs.

However, you could use the 15dBi antenna as a mounting pole for the EAP. :)

Yeah but will i get the distance (radius) i need at least 900 feet (300 meters) which would cover most of my workable acreage with the standard antennas.
Options
2017-03-07 16:45:08

simplegreen wrote

Yeah but will i get the distance (radius) i need at least 900 feet (300 meters) which would cover most of my workable acreage with the standard antennas.

According to EAP110-Outdoor's specifications reliable coverage should be up to 200 meters: http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-5693_EAP110-Outdoor.html

I bet you can see it at 300 meters distance also, but what type of antennas do your client devices have? They need to be powerful enough to be "seen" by the EAP, too. For example, with my Android tablet I can see the WiFi signal in a distance of 600 meters outdoor, but it will not be able to transfer data over such a distance. The tablet's antennas are just to weak to send a stable signal back to the AP.

So you can only find out by trial and error how much coverage you really get with the standard EAP antenna or with the 15dBi external antenna and the device(s) you are using. Please let the forum know what you find out.
Options
2017-04-13 21:00:46
So i finally got this thing. Never order a new product from a small company like pulling teeth. Anyway im going throught he controller software and i have a pretty easy setup. All i want to do is adopt the freaking AP. No matter what i try (even resetting the AP to factory, i cant seem to get it to adopt). I've used both the default admin/admin login/pw combo as well as the one i've created. Any ideas? i cant seem to find any mention of this issue anywhere. Either it shows me this error or says the AP im trying to adopt doesnt exist. In which case i refresh the page and try again only to get the failed info error.

Options
2017-04-14 04:12:14

simplegreen wrote

So i finally got this thing. Never order a new product from a small company like pulling teeth. Anyway im going throught he controller software and i have a pretty easy setup. All i want to do is adopt the freaking AP. No matter what i try (even resetting the AP to factory, i cant seem to get it to adopt). I've used both the default admin/admin login/pw combo as well as the one i've created. Any ideas? i cant seem to find any mention of this issue anywhere. Either it shows me this error or says the AP im trying to adopt doesnt exist. In which case i refresh the page and try again only to get the failed info error.

Why want you to use EAP controller at all for just one device? Rather than that, use the web UI of the EAP for configuration. To do so, set the IP of your PC to a static, free IP in the 192.168.0.0 subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.10), start a browser, load http://192.168.0.254/, configure the EAP and that's it. I would not mess with EAP controller for a single device used in standalone mode.
Options
2017-04-15 21:25:04

R1D2 wrote

Why want you to use EAP controller at all for just one device? Rather than that, use the web UI of the EAP for configuration. To do so, set the IP of your PC to a static, free IP in the 192.168.0.0 subnet (e.g. 192.168.0.10), start a browser, load http://192.168.0.254/, configure the EAP and that's it. I would not mess with EAP controller for a single device used in standalone mode.

thats exactly what i ended up doing. The documentation didn't really address stand alone mode vs multiple EAPs once i figured out i could get right into the AP i was golden. Getting pretty good range having trouble staying connected but i think those are just bugs that need to be worked out. When looking directly at the unit i have the 15dbi antenna hooked up to the right side port. Didn't seem to make a difference left or right in terms of range and since it's only a 2.4ghz band the port didn't seem to matter. Its set to 30tx suppose thats enough power to power the antenna.
Options