Local Only HS200 Smart Switch - Hard Wire - Wall Plug in Switch - Fine

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-07 10:10:20
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

To all,

I have been on this website looking for a clear and simple answer to the "Local Only" issue that pops up on both my IPhone and Android devices as well as my inability to control devices from the Amazon Echo. Yes....I know that there was some issue with TP Link and that things were messed up. Right now, it is early May and my hard wired switches in my house still don't work. I have downloaded the most recent apps onto both IPhone and Android to see if the most recent Kasa updates have any effect on resolving the issue. Nothing. The whole reason to purchase these switches has been defeated if they only work under very restricted conditions.

Does anyone have any clear direction on what is going on?
Options
4 Reply
Local Only - Same Issue
2017-07-21 03:56:59

Patentlaw wrote

Model : Hardware Version : Firmware Version : ISP : To all,I have been on this website looking for a clear and simple answer to the "Local Only" issue that pops up on both my IPhone and Android devices as well as my inability to control devices from the Amazon Echo. Yes....I know that there was some issue with TP Link and that things were messed up. Right now, it is early May and my hard wired switches in my house still don't work. I have downloaded the most recent apps onto both IPhone and Android to see if the most recent Kasa updates have any effect on resolving the issue. Nothing. The whole reason to purchase these switches has been defeated if they only work under very restricted conditions.Does anyone have any clear direction on what is going on?
I've got exactly the same problem. This is my second switch after the first was clearly defective. Though only 20 ft from my wireless hub/router, it seems to continue to lose the wireless connection forcing the Local Mode only. Periodically throughout the day, it seems to reconnect. It seems to be a very weak wireless transmitter/receiver in these units. Even my garage openers 300 feet away can stay connected so I'm sure it's not my equipment.Going to try alternative channels on wireless to see if that works. Frustrating.
Options
Re:Local Only HS200 Smart Switch - Hard Wire - Wall Plug in Switch - Fine
2017-07-21 09:06:53
hi daleheller, if it keeps saying local only and you are still able to control it on kasa, which means that perhaps router firewall is blocking switch to communicate with the cloud server. Try to lower the firewall on your router.
If no luck, contact TP-link email support with the model number of your router so they can follow this case.
But if you can't use kasa to control the switch, which means the connection between it and router is not stable.
Check the signal strengthen on kasa, it it better to be -40~-70dBm.
Also check the firmware upgrade first.
http://static.tp-link.com/iotUpgradeTool_V1.0.zip
Options
2017-07-21 23:55:29
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I checked the items you mentioned; I'm on the correct firmware according to Kasa; the router is showing -50 db at the switch location on one wireless gateway and -60 db at the other; I tried both with the same results. Do you know of any specific ports that need to be open on the router? I'm with Comcast and have the modem at the least restrictive that I dare go in terms of security settings. I would hope it would use port 8080, but then again I can't seem to find anything in the installation materials. I even changed it to a different channel (#6) with the same results.

Any thoughts?

Enson Loo wrote

hi daleheller, if it keeps saying local only and you are still able to control it on kasa, which means that perhaps router firewall is blocking switch to communicate with the cloud server. Try to lower the firewall on your router.
If no luck, contact TP-link email support with the model number of your router so they can follow this case.
But if you can't use kasa to control the switch, which means the connection between it and router is not stable.
Check the signal strengthen on kasa, it it better to be -40~-70dBm.
Also check the firmware upgrade first.
http://static.tp-link.com/iotUpgradeTool_V1.0.zip
Options
2017-07-24 14:59:39

DaleHeller wrote

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I checked the items you mentioned; I'm on the correct firmware according to Kasa; the router is showing -50 db at the switch location on one wireless gateway and -60 db at the other; I tried both with the same results. Do you know of any specific ports that need to be open on the router? I'm with Comcast and have the modem at the least restrictive that I dare go in terms of security settings. I would hope it would use port 8080, but then again I can't seem to find anything in the installation materials. I even changed it to a different channel (#6) with the same results.

Any thoughts?

When it shows Local Only, is the Remote Control enabled? Is firewall called Typical Security in your router? Try turn it off, it may block the port 50443 that the switch is using to communicate with the cloud server.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 964

Replies: 4