Turn of for X minutes (timer)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-21 06:13:41
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I know you can turn something on in X minutes or turn it off in X minutes but the really basic functionality of Turn this on and then shut if off in 2 hours is not possible. Sure I could manually turn it on, then go to the timer, scroll up 2 hours, select OFF then hit start but what a painful procedure.

You need a widget or a tool that lets you PRESET TIME ON. So you press one button, its on, then goes off on its own after a certain time.

Kinda surprised this wasn't like the first thing you guys put into the software. I remember the little dial-thingies in bathrooms to turn on a lamp for 90 minutes. This was possible in the 60s for God's sake.
Options
7 Reply
Re:Turn of for X minutes (timer)
2017-05-21 19:56:58
The graphic on the Smart Actions tab implies that this is possible with the SR20 hub added. I have one on it's way to me so should be able to test soon.
Options
2017-05-22 07:39:52
I guess it depends on how much that smart hub costs 'cause I agree should be basic function - adding a hub just to do that seems like overkill. My app supports this and even more when paired with a low end android phone (< $10 from walmart or bestbuy). I guess this new hub is intended to compete with Samsung's and is probably useful if you've got z-wave or zigbee devices too. But it does seem counter to the "hubless" aspect of the tp link automation devices..
Options
2017-05-22 21:15:49

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

I guess it depends on how much that smart hub costs 'cause I agree should be basic function - adding a hub just to do that seems like overkill. My app supports this and even more when paired with a low end android phone (< $10 from walmart or bestbuy). I guess this new hub is intended to compete with Samsung's and is probably useful if you've got z-wave or zigbee devices too. But it does seem counter to the "hubless" aspect of the tp link automation devices..

I don't disagree with you. Although I don't know this to be true, I suspect that the TP Cloud only knows the status of a switch if it goes out and checks it (for example when you open the app). If my suspicion is true, the device would need to tell the cloud the moment it was turned on so that the cloud would know to start an off timer. If every device communicated with the cloud every time it is manually touched, it would probably chew up a lot more cloud resources. But that is all a guess.

The TP Link SR20 hub is expensive (currently $150), but it is more than just an IoT hub. It is also an AC1900 class router. Of course most people will already have a router in place and not need or want to have that, but that is another discussion. I ordered the hub because 1) I purchased some Z-wave switches to deal with a few 3-ways in my house, and 2) I was intrigued with the possibility of adding in sensor triggered events.
Options
2017-05-23 02:10:44
I've poked around their API enough to know they could easily do it on the device itself in firmware - no different than an ordinary schedule rule that also run on the device - just a different start time. Seems like an oversight more than anything. The bulbs already do it as a fade out.

Sounds like you're sorted then. For anyone else that already has a wifi router you can manage 3-way devices like this: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/faq/wemomanager/wemofaq/wemo3ways and sensor, scheduled, or countdown triggered rules like this: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/faq/wemomanager/wemorules, no need for an additional hub.
Options
2017-05-27 11:55:36
As suspected, the exact option you are looking for is available via Kasa when you have the SR20 hub. Screenshot included.
File:
Screenshot_20170526-225006.jpgDownload
Options
2018-01-12 16:11:57
Hello, I get the HS110 some weeks ago and in fact I have tought about initiating a timer each time I switch on the device by pushing on the physical button. (Kids forget to switch off heater in the bathroom...)
I see it's possible with SR20, more than a years ago.
Is it not yet possible to get this feature now, one year later, without this additional device ?

Another option, has anyone already tried to download the source code (under GPL licence) and try to this new feature ?

Thanks for any replies :-)
Options
2018-02-11 08:44:47
I sure wish this could be added quickly -- much like the Belkin Wemo scheduling option of "Turn off after nn minutes xx seconds". Not sure why a router is needed for that! It'd help with the garage door opener 'hack' of using the TP switch to trigger a low voltage relay because then you could emulate the short button press required.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1447

Replies: 7