App speed test doesn't correlate with Ookla

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-10 12:51:58
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I upgraded firmware to the latest. It was extremely easy. While probably unnecessary, the device was restarted. When stable, I ran the app speed test.
It reported 32Mbps by 9.5 Mbps, but Ookla reported 87M by 16M. There is very little correlation.
Options
6 Reply
Re:App speed test doesn't correlate with Ookla
2017-06-27 09:12:54
On which device do you run speed test with Ookla? Does the device connected to Deco?
Options
Speeds don't match
2017-06-27 12:16:53
I have my Deco M5 setup with my Netgear CM700 Cable Modem on Comcast Xfinity. Previously, I was using the modem/router that was provided by Comcast at a rental fee. I had my Deco M5 plugged into that modem/router and the speeds shown on the Deco M5 app matched the speeds when running speedtests with Ookla app.
I recently returned the rental modem/router and replaced with a newly purchased Netgear CM700 cable modem. When running the speedtest with the Deco M5 app, i am getting the same speeds i was getting before (~215Mbps down, 11.9Mbps up).

However, when i use the same device running the speedtest on the Ookla app, i only get around 33Mbps down, and 11Mbps up.

Is there a setting i am missing somewhere?

Please help!

Thanks!
Options
2017-06-27 19:41:14
My speed test was performed on the deco connected to the modem at a distance of 8 ft with no obstructions. I assume the deco speed test always runs from the closest device and the user cannot select a speed test from a distant device.
Options
2017-06-28 18:04:56

jhsu wrote

I have my Deco M5 setup with my Netgear CM700 Cable Modem on Comcast Xfinity. Previously, I was using the modem/router that was provided by Comcast at a rental fee. I had my Deco M5 plugged into that modem/router and the speeds shown on the Deco M5 app matched the speeds when running speedtests with Ookla app.
I recently returned the rental modem/router and replaced with a newly purchased Netgear CM700 cable modem. When running the speedtest with the Deco M5 app, i am getting the same speeds i was getting before (~215Mbps down, 11.9Mbps up).

However, when i use the same device running the speedtest on the Ookla app, i only get around 33Mbps down, and 11Mbps up.

Is there a setting i am missing somewhere?

Please help!

Thanks!

I guess your device has been switched to the 2.4GHz network and gets a link speed of 72Mbps. In this case, 33Mbps up/11Mbps down seems normal. You can change another device and test the speed with a wired connected device and check again.
Options
2017-06-28 18:05:59

Jpoldoian wrote

My speed test was performed on the deco connected to the modem at a distance of 8 ft with no obstructions. I assume the deco speed test always runs from the closest device and the user cannot select a speed test from a distant device.

You can also test the speed from a distant device by connecting a client to the device via an Ethernet cable. And then make a speed test on the client for a check.
Options
2017-06-29 21:48:35

TP-Link Deco wrote

I guess your device has been switched to the 2.4GHz network and gets a link speed of 72Mbps. In this case, 33Mbps up/11Mbps down seems normal. You can change another device and test the speed with a wired connected device and check again.

I think your comment is the best answer to my issue. For some reason, my Deco app switched to the 2.4G band for it's app measurement. Maybe band-steering didn't work properly. Ookla on my laptop used the 5G band so I got the true speed which was 87Mbps, nearly identical to Ethernet speed. When WiFi speed is nearly the same as Ethernet speed, numerous problems at our company are solved. Today, I will run the same test again to see if any change.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4635

Replies: 6