I don't use a smartphone Can I control HS110 smart plug from a laptop PC?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-19 12:32:17
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I don't use a smartphone.

Can I control HS110 smart plug from a laptop PC?
Options
17 Reply
Re:I don't use a smartphone Can I control HS110 smart plug from a laptop PC?
2017-08-20 00:32:52
You need a smart phone to set it up. If you're in the US you can get a low end android phone for $10-$30 (get a payg, you don't need to activate it). I have a free PC app you can use for basic discovery and control of your plug: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/downloads/wemoserver-java.

If you do get a low end android phone you can run my paid app on it ( https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/faq/wemomanager) that gives you a personal google hosted web page you can use to control it from any web browser: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/faq/wemomanager/wemoondrive.
Options
2017-08-21 00:53:12
MikeP: Thank you for the link to your pc program. I also ran across the Home Remote program. lSo I will compare yours with that. If you have already written a comparison, please post it up. Based on the existence of your program and the Home Remote program, I just order the HS110 Kit from TP-Link.

Also, I have the Nest Thermostat and have Indoor Nest Cams. And will likely be buying the new Nest Cam IQ Outdoor (when it eventually comes out). DO YOU HAVE OR DO YOU KNOW OF A PROGRAM WHICH WILL STREAM TO NAS FOR THE NEST CAMS?

Thank you
Options
2017-08-22 02:13:03
Home Remote is a control application, no automation. AutomationManager is a control application (same idea, you can build a custom UI for a home automation control tablet).

Plus it's a server (for status and retries of changes), a rules engine for more complex automation than the basic provided by TP Link, and you use your own cloud service on your google account which gives the web page I mentioned, logging, etc, - safer 'cause it's a cloud service that you own and manage vs one owned by someone else.

Amazon dot/echo in particular works very well (fast) as it provides a local bridge for the echo/dot to control the TP Link devices directly without going back through the TP Link cloud.

Most of the netcam type products are trying to force the purchase of a cloud subscription for saving your video, I find older IP cameras work better for local streaming/recording to NAS. I don't have a nest cam so I'm not sure if it's the same. The Nest products are supported on IFTTT and AutomationManager does have voice and IFTTT integration so you can use them together with the TP Link devices.
Options
2017-09-04 06:16:22
First install TP-Link's Kasa app from the Play Store onto a smart phone.

http://thehomeremote.com/

Then install the TP-Link Smart Plug following the simple instructions which come in the box with it.

Then I downloaded and installed on my laptop, the Windows 10 version of the Home Remote program.

Then click "+" to add a device.

Then click on "TP-Link" because you are adding a TP-Link device.

When it asks for User name and Password, you enter your router user name and password.

Then it finds your TP-Link Smart Plug(s).

Do it for each TP-Link Smart Plug or other device.

It stores your router user name and password, subsequently adding other devices is easy.

This is what it looks like:

As stated above, no automation, just simple on and off.

Works well.

[Based on this positive experience, I think I may be buying two of the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switches soon.]
Options
2018-06-24 01:25:18

E350 wrote

First install TP-Link's Kasa app from the Play Store onto a smart phone.

http://thehomeremote.com/

Then install the TP-Link Smart Plug following the simple instructions which come in the box with it.

Then I downloaded and installed on my laptop, the Windows 10 version of the Home Remote program.

Then click "+" to add a device.

Then click on "TP-Link" because you are adding a TP-Link device.

When it asks for User name and Password, you enter your router user name and password.

Then it finds your TP-Link Smart Plug(s).

Do it for each TP-Link Smart Plug or other device.

It stores your router user name and password, subsequently adding other devices is easy.

This is what it looks like:

As stated above, no automation, just simple on and off.

Works well.

[Based on this positive experience, I think I may be buying two of the TP-Link Smart Wi-Fi Light Switches soon.]

You mentioned that I should put in my username and password for my router. When I use the SSID and password your app says "account not found". If I put in the username and password that I registered the TP link smart plug with, it excepts those values and goes back to the previous screen and lists "TP link" under devices. That's it… Nothing more. If I click on the "TP link" entry it just shows me the name, username, and password. All of my devices are on and are accessible with my android device. They are using the same credentials that I used the put in the home remote app. What am I doing wrong?
Options
2018-06-24 05:53:36
I'd be careful about that application. It's asking for a lot of information (your router SSID and password?!). Maybe they're ok, but proper, secure applications use OAuth rather than asking you for credentials to external systems they don't own. Giving away your credentials is giving them the keys to your network.
Options
2018-06-25 00:50:12

MikeP_AutomationManager wrote

I'd be careful about that application. It's asking for a lot of information (your router SSID and password?!). Maybe they're ok, but proper, secure applications use OAuth rather than asking you for credentials to external systems they don't own. Giving away your credentials is giving them the keys to your network.

I am not IT guy so I am not going to disagree with anything that MikeP has said. But I am pretty sure that my Nest cams and thermostat requested the same info during set up. I don't trust Google but my Adroid phone requires me to share EVERYTHING with Google. I don't trust the red Chinese either, but since IBM sold its PC Division to China I have been using Lenovo computers. And tp-link is itself owned by the red Chinese. And Wikileaks exposed George Bush's NSA Total Information Awareness / Carnivore as collecting everything done on the Internet by U.S. Citizens. So, in my personal opinion, there is absolutely no such thing as internet security until U.S. representatives vote for a U.S. law mandating E-Privacy and back up its enforcement by imposing the death penalty for misuse of E-Private info.
Options
2018-06-25 04:49:50
Amen brother.

There is a difference between giving your IoT devices like cameras, switches, and thermostats your SSID and wifi password - they need it to connect to your wifi to work. You still need to ask yourself if you trust the vendor, 'cause that information is available to them even if you shut off remote access (all that does is prevent YOU from accessing them remotely, the devices still make outgoing calls to the internet). Even then vendors can make mistakes, be hacked, or hire the wrong people. And if they're not in your country at all what do you do if they misuse your info?

What's odd here is your PC is already connected to your network - there's no reason that application should be asking for any credentials. If it's asking for credentials to connect directly to your TP Link account then it's pretending to be you - modern, professional, secure applications don't do that. If you know the author personally maybe it's ok, but I wouldn't give my info to a stranger. OAuth uses a trusted 3rd party (google usually, sorry, but it is already on your android) to grant access without exchanging any other information and google asks for your permission first which you can revoke any time.

There are apps (I like mine of course) that talk directly/locally to these devices which allows you to shut them off from the internet completely using your router/firewall. I don't ask for passwords in my app. For remote access I use OAuth and google APIs so everything goes through your google account (you own it all) rather than through my servers. Very safe and private. Even TP Link doesn't do this - your info (and email, I hate that) is kept in their servers. You can even create a separate google account just for IoT device remote access for even more security.

At the very least experts recommend keeping IoT devices on a isolated network with no access to your internal home network.

The privacy genie may already be out of the bottle - very tough to enforce in other countries and the internet is global. What is left is thinking about what we buy and what we share. And above all realizing how foolish it is to outsource manufacturing (handing over the designs) to countries that don't have strong intellectual property protection laws just to save a few bucks. Companies now being undercut by knockoffs need to blame themselves rather than asking their government for help...
Options
2018-07-03 16:36:15
This is really very useful information for how to use laptop and System. Thanks

Angularjs Training in Chennai | Java Training in Chennai
Options
2019-12-06 14:15:08

TP-Link Kasa Smartplug Utility brings the convenience of smart plugs to your Windows 10 device.

PHP Training in ChennaiTableau Training in Chennai

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6220

Replies: 17