Slow Speeds - Troubleshooting and Potential Fixes

Released On: 2018-11-05 12:26:46Last update time: 2022-05-09 23:37:36

There are many factors can affect a device's network speed, this FAQ will help you isolate and troubleshoot some of them.

This Chart will help you decide which case to refer to.  keep in mind we will want to rule out the ISP as the cause of the issue first.  

CASE ONE

Please do the following steps:

Step 1

Connect a computer dirrectly to your router via ethernet and preform a speedtest(www.speedtest.net). We recommend runing the test three times without doing any high bandwidth behaviors.   

Step 2

Contact TP-Link support with the above results for further assistance.

CASE TWO

Please do the following steps:

Step 1

Connect a computer dirrectly to your router via ethernet and preform a speedtest(www.speedtest.net). We recommend runing the test three times without doing any high bandwidth behaviors.

Step 2

Do the same test but connected to your wireless SSID.

Step 3

Check your device's wireless link speed.

For windows like below,

For Mac OS

Make sure you select network utility. Select Info tab and choose Wi-fi (en0 or en1) on the drop-down options. Please note that the Link Speed is your wireless connection speed. In this example, my connection speed is set to 450 Mbit/s (Mega bits per seconds).

Step 4

Log into your router and change the channel width,2.4G→40MHz,5GHz→80Mhz, and retest the connection.

Step 5

Is the speed issue occuring 5GHz, 2.4GHz, or both? 

For 2.4GHz, change the Channel (channels 1, 6 and 11 are generally best, but any channel can be used, please try a few more channels). 

Step 6

Contact TP-Link support with the above results for further assistance.

Comment

Hello, 

This looks like good information, but where do I find the screen shown in Step 5 above? I don't find it when I log into the router via IP address, nor in the app when I log in on my iPad. 

My wi-fi signal is weakest from the Deco connected to the modem. My Mac Mini, maybe 15' from the Deco, gets 154 mbp/s using Spectrum Speedtest, 145 using Ookla and 130 with FAST.com, but 456 with Ethernet. My iPad gets 155 with Spectrum, 259 on Ookla and 320 using FAST.

The Link Speed in the Network Utility shows 300. 

My second Deco, which is in a hallway with no line of sight to the router, gives me 187 with Spectrum, 249 with Ookla and 340 with FAST. 

The third Deco, with semi line of sight with the router and the second Deco, shows 216 with Spectrum, 261 with Ookla and 270 with FAST.  

I can probably have a permanent Ethernet run to my Mini if I can find somebody to pull it through the attic, which would solve that problem, but it doesn't solve the slow performance of iPads and iPhones in our den, which has the 2nd and 3rd Decos on each side.  

When I installed the Deco mesh system, our iPads and iPhones were blazingly fast compared to the Spectrum router, but in the last 3 weeks, they've slowed down considerably, without any changes made. 

I'm hoping your suggestions in Steps 4 and 5 above will boost performance, if I can find that screen. 

Many thanks, 

DGerety

upload
    upload