Why the Archer A7 v5 / Archer C7 v5 broadcasts a secure hidden network

With a Wi-fi analyzer, you will be able to find that the Archer A7 v5 / Archer C7 v5 has 2 SSIDs on each band. 

One of them is the normal SSID, which can be detected and connected by the wireless devices. 

The other is a hidden SSID, which is used to build up the OneMesh wireless network system. It cannot be detected by the typical client devices like laptops or smart phones. 

See the picture below: 

Here is another similar situation submitted by a user.

Like the existing Deco mesh package products, the hidden networks are equipped automatically with a highly secure random password which aims to keep the security integrity of the wireless network.

This hidden network is by design, and it not a symptom of the device not operating properly.

For more information about OneMesh, please read this article: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/722

Comment

Hi, is there any way to disable these hidden networks? maybe in a next firmware revision? Is it for the OneMesh system or for Amazon Alexa? Because I have two Amazon FireTV sticks and they do the same thing .... they also emit an hidden SSID . Thank you

@pmb 

The hidden networks are becuase of the OneMesh, one thing to note is that they are password protected with a highly secured password.

Hello,

I just chat with Tech-Supp,  he/she seems very novice!

I am thinking to purchase A7.

I have few questions below:

1- I have Wire (no WiFI) Modem router, which intakes public IP and has DHCP server which issuing local IP addresses to devices that connect (wired) to this modem router.

2- Can A7 be confured as Bridge Mode?  (ASUS mid-end and high-end Yes)
  from this modem router connecting into A7's WAN port or LAN port,   All WiFI devices connect to A7 will obtain IP addresses from Modem router. ?

3-  IF #2 is Yes,  While A7 in Bridge mode (Functions as in #2), will the VPN server feature (Either OpenVPN or PPTP) on A7 be enable?

(VPN server feature on ASUS Wifi router can't be enable if it has been configured as Bridge mode)

Or any TP-Link model that has support for both #2 and #3.

By the way,  if I buy A7 how do I know, the one I get is v1 or v5?

Thanks,

You would configure the A7 in Access Point mode and wire the WAN port to your existing router. All devices that would then connect to the A7 will get a IP from your modem/router. The VPN server features are only enabled in router mode so they will be disabled.

There are two SSDI numbers. How do I know which number to use during set up?

@LucyLucy 

You can connect to either one as both lead to the router and are on the same network.

hello, Will there be a OneMesh firmware update to the Archer C5400X?

https://bit.ly/3002V22

شرکت سورنا یکی از پیشروهای صنعت پلاستیک کشور و صادرکنندگان انواع <a href="https://bit.ly/39CYnSs">قطره چکان پلاستیکی</a> در ایران است.

I'm a real novice when it comes to this stuff .. it'll show. 

I just managed to install a new Archer A7 mesh router and it seems to be working (!). My question is about the security that may be built in. The old routers I've had all called for enabling a security called wap or wpa or something but when I installed the Archer it didn't specifically use that terminology. Is the network encryption built in?  

Does the A5 support wisp mode.  I'm on the fence between the a5 and its competitor.  Trying to beat the clock to get the next day shipping on amazon b cool

@AlexinNC 

The A7 by default has WPA/WPA2-PSK, TKIP/AES.

@Duckedup 

No, I would look at the TL-WR902AC which has Hotspot Mode which is also known as WISP. The A5 has WDS Bridge mode which extends the wireless network of the main router like a range extender does, but doesn't have its own LAN.

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions