Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
54 Reply
Re:Re:Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches
2019-07-25 00:52:51

I appreciate you putting in the feature request. 

I just tried the Alexa Routines as you suggested. I don't see any of my smarthome devices available as triggers there either. The only "device" in the trigger list is gibberish (it is actually a UUID). If I try to select it, it says this device is not supported. It doesn't even show my non-TPLink switches.

Does anyone else see any smartphone devices as triggers in Alexa Routines?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches
2019-07-25 01:23:37

Exactly the same here--I just tried it.  It shows two devices--one my smart lock, and one jibberish.  Neither work (device not supported).  None of my TP Link devices are shown.

Options
Re:Making IFTTT trigger for smart switches
2019-07-25 21:18:00

We recently wrote an article for this:  

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/580

let us know if this helps. 

Options
2019-08-12 21:09:16

I don't think your article covers what this thread is looking for.

This thread is looking for the ability to use switches as triggers so they are able to initiate something (ex. turning on switch A will also turn off switch B).

Within the Amazon Alexa app, we want to be able to select a switch in "WHEN THIS HAPPENS". Or in IFTTT, in the "If This" portion of a function.

Options
2019-08-25 01:17:17

I purchased a smart switch for this purpose.  After installation only did I realize it could not be done.

I am disappointed that TP Link does not support this sevice, and would like to know if TP Link is even planning on supporting it in the future.

Options
2019-08-27 21:34:37

@chromentis 

We do not have any updates to this request.  However we have added "Smart Actions" in the Kasa App to help with some of the most commonly requested features suchs as an auto-off timmer. check those out.  

Options
2019-08-27 22:17:09

Since Smart Actions isn't available yet in my region, I can only go by the announcement description.  It sounds like you are building a proprietary version of IFTTT to lock us into the TP Link ecosystem.

Any good relationship is based on trust.  You can't force someone into staying in a romantic relationship.... And a customer relationship is no different.  If you want your customers to stay within the TP Link ecosystem, then your proprietary service must be significantly better than IFTTT.  It does not appear there is a benefit.

It looks as if TP Link has chosen to divert resources into something that is not beneficial for the customer.  I no longer trust the decision-making of TP Link at this point.  I would no longer consider the purchase of a future TP Link product.

It is a shame.  As a product, Kasa Is good quality.  It is excellently priced.  The app is wonderfully done.  But ultimately I need to vote with my wallet and the principles that I believe in.

Options
2019-08-28 12:57:48

I am only seeing a placeholder in the app now.

"We're in the process of deploying Smart Actions... Stay tuned for more updates." And, the Learn More link there only takes me to the TP-Link homepage.

Should we be able to see something in here by now based on what you said?

Hopefully, they are working on allowing switches to be triggers. I am holding off on replacing the rest of my Insteon system until I have this ability.

Options
2019-08-29 23:48:33

I would buy at least 3 more smart switches if you gave us this capability.  I have three lights in the kitchen, undercabinet, over kitchen sink, and main kitchen lights.  The three switches are distributed around the room, so I have to go to three places to turn on all the lights.  It would be nice to hit one switch and have all the lights come on at once sometimes (like evening) but then have each switch control only the light it is connected to at others (like midnight or early morning).  Hardwired switches won't don this.  Only a smart home switch can do this.  You would unlock so much capability if we could trigger on a switch push or a light on signal.

Options
2019-08-30 01:41:38
Options