How do I use a spare HS210 3 way switch on a single pole?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-27 19:06:24 - last edited 2019-01-02 16:14:21

I got a HS210 Kit for a 3 way setup but one of the switches had no common so I couldn't install it there which is no big deal since they work fine with just one.

I've read that you can use the HS210 for a single pole so I thought I'd use the spare for that.

I assume it's all the same but just one traveller to the light leaving one traveller screw empty?

Also, for setting up that new switch in the app do I use HS210 option and start over just as I did for the first?

Thanks

Options
12 Reply
Re:How do I use a spare HS210 3 way switch on a single pole?
2018-12-28 15:40:55

@Mlang2000 

Unfortuently the wiring for the HS210 is exclusive for it to be used in a 3-way enviroment and cannot be used in a single pole enviroment.  I actually have the same issue.  What you can do is use the other HS210 in a seperate 3-way run so to control two seperate series of lights.  Just set it up like the other unit and thats it.

Best Regards

Carl | TP-Link Support 

Options
2018-12-28 17:52:40

Then how are people making it work? After posting, I've found even more posts from people who've done it. Even several Amazon reviews of people who used the HS210 on a single pole.

Here's just one...

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/9y8jc3/using_hs210_3wayswitch_for_single_pole_wire/

Options
2018-12-28 18:18:25 - last edited 2018-12-28 18:19:29

Another...

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/9x7amw/splitting_up_tp_link_hs210_switches/

Options
2019-01-01 16:23:46

Update...

I just added the spare HS210 switch to a single pole circuit and added it to Kasa as a new switch and everything works perfectly.

I have no idea why a TP-Link Support employee would emphatically deny that this is possible and then never return to the conversation but it definitely works.

Options
Re:Re:How do I use a spare HS210 3 way switch on a single pole?
2019-01-01 19:47:52

@Mlang2000 

Sorry about not getting back you to you.  I did not recieve a notification that you had replied.  Our reply is based off the infromation relayed to us by our Smart Home division and this FAQ.  While you and other seem to have been able to make it work.  We cannot gaurentee that it will work issue free also as this is outside of the intended use of the product support is limited and warranty may not apply should the product be damaged due to imporper use.  This is why we said it is not possible.  

I am happy to see you have got it to work for your needs but I wanted to be clear as to why we don't recommend it or state that it may be possible.  

Best Regards

Carl | TP-Link Support

Options
2019-01-02 15:58:57 - last edited 2019-01-02 16:20:45

3 way switches have always worked for single pole circuits going back 100 years. Smart switches are not unique to this. It's just completing a circuit. It's not "outside of the intended use of the product". There's no reinvention of the wheel here. Perhaps it's time to revise the FAQ.

Options
2019-01-02 16:26:06

@Mlang2000 

I can see where you are getting this reasoning and agree with you to a regard.  On the HS210 like most convential mechincal switchs Live and Load are on the same wire. However, where we differ is our products designed for single pole enviroments.  On the HS200 and HS220 the Live and Load must be seperate wires for those products to operate.  Theoretically the HS210 can work but since it is designed to work in a 3-way enviroment and use traveller wires, we cannot confidentally state that this is something that is doable for the HS210.  I'm glad you are able to get it to meet your needs but as this is outside the products desgined purpose we cannot gaurnetee that it will operate issue free. 

Best Regards

Carl | TP-Link Support 

Options
Re:How do I use a spare HS210 3 way switch on a single pole? - I GOT IT TO WORK
2020-01-25 18:06:54

@Mlang2000 

On my single-pole outside light switch there were three black wires.  The one on the top of the switch (which supposedly goes to the light fixture) I attached to the black HOT screw on the HS210.  I attached the other two to the traveler screws.  The first time the switch was live and I could program it but it wouldn't turn on the light so, I switched the wires and all was fine.

VERY important is that the white wire on the switch needs to be attached to the white wire in your box.  It's likely that it's WAY in the back so pull everything out to find it.  Unscrew the wire nut and attach your white to it.

Options
2021-11-26 22:33:49

@Carl 

The Amazon description for this item explicitly states the HS210 can be used as a 3-way or Single Pole switch.

Carl wrote

@Mlang2000 

I can see where you are getting this reasoning and agree with you to a regard.  On the HS210 like most convential mechincal switchs Live and Load are on the same wire. However, where we differ is our products designed for single pole enviroments.  On the HS200 and HS220 the Live and Load must be seperate wires for those products to operate.  Theoretically the HS210 can work but since it is designed to work in a 3-way enviroment and use traveller wires, we cannot confidentally state that this is something that is doable for the HS210.  I'm glad you are able to get it to meet your needs but as this is outside the products desgined purpose we cannot gaurnetee that it will operate issue free. 

Best Regards

Carl | TP-Link Support 

Options
2021-11-27 20:04:48

It's pretty straight forward to use as a single pole Switch 

Just connect Line (where the Line goes to the Common, Black Terminal), Neutral and ground and then connect your Load wire to one of the two traveler terminals; leave the other traveler terminal unconnected. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 19669

Replies: 12