How do I use a spare HS210 3 way switch on a single pole?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How do I use a spare HS210 3 way switch on a single pole?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:Re:How do I use a spare HS210 3 way switch on a single pole?
2021-12-31 15:04:27

I purchased the HS210 kit with the expectation of using one of the switches as a two-way.  The HS210 switch has one screw-down terminal for line, two pig-tales neutral and ground, and two screw-down terminals for the travelers. 

In a conventional two way switch there are three terminals-line, load and neutral.  So, my question is how do your wire an HS210?

Options
Re:Re:How do I use a spare HS210 3 way switch on a single pole?
2021-12-31 17:35:29 - last edited 2021-12-31 17:38:42

rchaput wrote

In a conventional two way switch there are three terminals-line, load and neutral.*  

So, my question is how do your wire an HS210?

@rchaput The first part of that statement is not really correct - a conventional switch does not utilize the neutral in its wiring (to the switch) and there are only two terminals, line and load 
To use an HS210 to replace a single pole, connect the ground and neutral, then the line goes to common, the load to ONE of the Travelers and leave the other Traveler unconnected. The key is to ensure you correctly identify which of your two black wires to the conventional switch is the line and which is the load. 

*Quick post script note: if your conventional switch DOES have three terminals - and one of those has a WHITE wire attached to it, then that is NOT a Neutral but is actually a white wire being used as a TRAVELER and would mean that it actually IS a 3-WAY switch. 

Options