3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2020-01-08 19:14:49

Has anyone found a third party Wifi/Zigbee/Zwave control that they have been used successfully to control an HS220? 

My thought here is that you could eliminate the 3-way control (like this) and wire the HS220 as a single-pole dimmer.  Then use a connected button/control device through IFTTT to trigger the HS220.  Depending on your wiring you could probably wire a USB power source in the old (unused) 3-way box to power such button/control.  It would be ideal to have a similar UI to the HS220, but if the goal is just to be able to control the HS220 from that point in the room, this seems like it could work.  Before I start working on finding such a control, I thought I would see if others have tried this.   

Options
2020-01-08 19:19:51

@KirkMeyers 

I have the same thought.

To try installing two hs220 switches. One will be connect to the light, and one will be connected only to the power (dummy switch) and in the Kaza app define in the 'Smart actions' tab for both switches to work together.

I tried that on 2 smart switches in my home and it worked but did not tried it yet on the 3 way switch. 

Options
2020-01-08 19:28:07

Its so crazy we have to come up with work arounds for gapping hold in the product line. Come on TP link....

Options
2020-01-08 19:31:45

@KazaUser 

(Fixing my replies as I didn't reply correctly to keep the thread formatted right.  Not a big forum user me.)

Yes! I had that thought too (that an HS220 could be the controller itself) right after I posted this. I think I will try that. It's a bit of a shame to have to buy an entire switch only to use it as a controller, but that seems like it should work.

And apologies that I didn't understand that was what you were suggesting in your first post in this thread. Or maybe part of my brain did understand and then the other part of my brain tried to take credit for it! Great suggestion!

Options
2020-01-08 19:39:52

I've got to just sit back and read while you guys figure all this out. I haven't jumped into this at all and don't have any smart devices in the house yet.  So I know nothing about how the rest of the product line works at this point. 

So I'm still here and just listening in.. Thanks in advance for any solutions you guys come up with!

Options
2020-01-08 20:18:48

@HoundDog same here, please report back when you figure it out

Options
2020-01-22 22:16:48

I actually gave up on waiting for a TP-Link 3 way dimmer and went with another solution. Feit Electric has a 3 way dimmer switch that can also be used as a single pole dimmer switch. They work beautifully, and I have installed 6 so far, 1 pair in a 3 way setup and the remaining 4 as single pole dimmers. I plan to replace my HS210 kit with these as well, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Costco sells them in a 2 pack (enough for a 3 way setup or 2 single pole locations) for about $30, making them really affordable. I really wanted to stay with TP-Link because the KASA app is excellent and I already have several devices installed but TP-Link's failure to release a 3 way dimmer made the decision for me as I couldn't wait any longer.

Options
2020-01-26 01:14:47

@ZEF 

This week I installed the stepup that I wrote few comments earlier: Convert the 3 way dimmer to regular kaza dimmer, the 3 way switch to regular kaza switch and group them together in the app (you have to set up 2 activities, one trigger for the dimmer and one trigger for the regular switch).

This solution works very well! The only downside is that when using the dummy switch is has slighty more delay than the dimmer switch. 

I still hope that 3 and 4 way dimmer switch would be an option. Until then, I think my solution can work just fine.

Options
2020-01-26 01:27:26

@KazaUser awesome thanks!

Options
2020-02-07 21:31:27

@echo954 

Here to echo the same sentiments of the other users on this thread: @TP-Link, please move forward with developing a 3-way dimmer switch! It doesn't make sense that this isn't already in your product line or at least in development!

Options
Related Articles