3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

3 way Dimmer switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
689 Reply
Re:3 way Dimmer switch?
2021-09-17 16:23:51

@jswfl09 

Of course and we are in the process to grow this platform and provide users with the content they need and deserve, as well as make it a center point for support and providing important product information.  Not just from TP-Link itself but also taking in customer feedback and getting real world experience from our product and there use that limited beta testing can sometimes miss.  The concerns that those of you who received your orders early are having have not fallen on deaf ears.  Beyond being an admin for the community I am also the US local supervisor for Technical Support so I want to assure everyone that I have heard your concerns.  We are working with the engineering team to engineer a solution just as soon as it is possible.  As soon as that is provided to me I will let you know.  My hope is that it will be sometime early next week but I can't promise.  I have requested an update, however want to also let everyone know that as our engineers are in China we do have time delays on responses.  I will likely not see a response to my inquiry till Monday morning.  I encourage you all to keep the feedback coming not just on this product but also any other TP-Link made product you have.  The more we see and hear the more we can improve.  

Thank you and please everyone have a great weekend. 

Options
2021-09-17 23:47:32

I've been having fun with the motion activated switches, it's so cool to have the lights automatically turn on when I enter certain rooms, so, now what I want is a motion activated 3-way dimmer, of course!

Options
2021-09-18 02:25:19

@Carl 

Hey Carol I'm located in Arizona.

Installed my 3 way dimmer today and having same issue of lights dimming down until off as soon as I turn them on.

I have checked wiring lights and everything is correct. 

Do you advise that we send them back?

Options
2021-09-18 02:57:58

@AC-Guy 

I would wait until the official release date (Sept 22), I'm sure there will be a day zero firmware update.  It seems to be affecting everyone.

Options
2021-09-18 15:55:26

@Carl Thank you for all the updates. Obviously everyone is anxious to get properly working units in place. I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for staying on top of this and helping ensure we get this resolved. We look forward to the outcome on the real release date or whenever this gets resolved.

I am also hopeful that once this is resolved we can easily obtain the units at the proper price through Amazon.

Options
2021-09-18 16:00:49

@Carl one more picky item. It would be nice in the future to offer all the smart switches in colors other than white. I have some switch locations that are gray to match the room decor. It would be a nice touch to offer the TPLink products in different colors. This would also give you a leg up on the competition.

Just a wish...

Options
2021-09-18 16:17:25 - last edited 2021-09-18 16:22:22

@Carl 

I ordered two KS230s from Amazon on the 8th for $49.99 each.  They were scheduled for a 9/29 to 10/5 delivery date.  Since it's been a week and a half, and given the dimming issue and no active Amazon sku, I was surprised to get an email from Amazon this morning saying they had shipped and are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  I think I'll wait to install them until there's a firmware update unless you want me to see if mine are also having the same dimming issue.

Options
2021-09-18 16:27:33

I have installed my switch. Happy to help beta test/trouble shoot. I have this issue. It looks like interference on the feedback from the satellite switch, or at least the connection to that switch.

If I have nothing connected to traveler one on main switch, the switch behaves as a normal dimmer. It is able to dim lights from 0 to 100,  power on, off, remote etc. if I connect the satellite right next to the main ( short wire a few inches connecting traveler 1 to traveler 1, short wire connecting to traveler 2 to traveler 2) it also works fine and Satelites switch works perfectly.

However, once I extend that in the wall run, i can turn on the light at low dim, and slowly increase brightness, and at about 50% it will power off. Full power on will immediately power back off. So it seems whatever communication is getting interrupted when send on a longer miles run through the wall with travelers running side by side.

what was interesting is I saw the same behavior when the traveler 1 wire was connected through the wall, but no satellite switch on the other end. That makes it look like especially like traveler 1 wire is picking up some interference from the traveler 2 wire when powered up and rung alongside. It makes sense. I want to reproduce this last case again with a spool out of the wall, but I don't know if I have a long enough run to reproduce. Anyway, if that's the case hopefully they can tweak in firmware the sensitivity of the "receiver" to cut out false positives. I would hope the "true" signal is a lot stronger. But they are close! I'm going to leave them in this way and just keep them dimmed about 30% with dimming calibration set below LED recommended line. That seems to be pretty reliable to stay on and not generate the interference that causes it to shut off. At 50% it shuts off immediately. At 40% it will shut off usually after 2 or 3 mins or so. So some misinterpreted signals seems to be the culprit.

Options
2021-09-18 16:31:50
I should add to be clear, when the remote switch was on the far end it was able to control otherwise. So it had status LED, it could power on and off, could dim control, etc. so it’s control signals are getting back fine. But there is likely noise on the signal that is getting misinterpreted as false positive on the main that seem to be causing this on longer runs.
Options
2021-09-18 23:08:08

Here's a weird one... I just installed for my family room lights. All new wiring, verified line/load and travelers.  I have full functionality with the main switch, including wifi and commands through the app. Dimming works, etc. The satellite, however, does nothing no matter what I do. One other minor issue,  seems that 3 of the tiny lights in the brightness scale on the main switch done light up, even though I can scale to all brightnesses. 

Options
Related Articles